• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Ok, I foller the details on running Prime95 to test for errors etc, even to do so on a duallie.

Now, what I am wanting to know is can you just set the affinaty once its actively running, to fully test just 1 CPU, while not the other? So I would only need to really test 1 CPU at a time?

Hrm... doesnt seem quite right there... Ok, I want to run Prime to test etc... Now, I would rather not run 2 instances at the same time. Take up too many resources while doing it. So, on a duallie, can I install and run 1 instance, set the affinaty to CPU1. Test it. Then, once passed (presuming it does so) set it to affinaty to CPU2. Test it.

Would this be just as good as running 2 instances at once? Since it would be set to use just 1 CPU at a time?

Make sense? lol

You can set how much memory it uses and just run two instances. Once you have them both open, you can set the affinity for each one.

I posted some detailed instructions on how to set this up a while back. It has been copied and pasted into a couple threads, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that you need to lower the default amount of memory that each program uses. By default, the program wants to use 75% of you total memory. You can lower it to whatever you like, though. I usually just set it to 32 MB each.

Maybe other processes are interferring with it or maybe it's just normal. I have noticed on single CPU machines that Prime doesn't stay at 100% all of the time, just most of the time. I think maybe when it stops to check the data to verify it's accuracy, that it might dip at those points.

I understand all that, but Im curious would it be as "accurate" running just one? Ive seen your write ups, even done it a couple of times, but Im just curious if its the same as if done on one CPU at a time.

Seems to me like it wouldn't be as useful because you wouldn't be pushing the motherboard and it's power circuitry to its max if you just test one CPU at a time. If you test both, though, at 100% for an extended period of time, then you are stressing the CPU's, motherboard, PSU, and memory.

Ok, didnt think about that side of it.
Thanks ;)

IFMU, I am having some Motherboard problems that only show up with 2 prime95 instances running at once. I can run 1 instance assigned to 1 cpu for 48+ hours , but with two instances running it crashes almosyt immediately. To make a long story short, I agree with CMC; running 2 instances stresses the MB power systems much more than 1 instance.

TLhead said:
IFMU, I am having some Motherboard problems that only show up with 2 prime95 instances running at once. I can run 1 instance assigned to 1 cpu for 48+ hours , but with two instances running it crashes almosyt immediately. To make a long story short, I agree with CMC; running 2 instances stresses the MB power systems much more than 1 instance.
Excellent and thank you, that is the basic proof I was lookin for. Granted, cmc knows his stuff and was willing to accept what he said due to, well, it made sense. LoL
But, non-the-less, that right there states exactly what I was mostly curious about, whether or not it would show errors or not with only 1 in comparison to running 2 instances.
Thanks
IFMU

P.S. Not excellent yea got probs when yea run two, just that someone can actually state they have had that kinda problem. Hope yea get yours fixed. ;) lol

Back