• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cutting blowhole

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pummer

Alrighty, I don't have a dremel or similar rotary tool and I want to cut a blowhole for 80mm through the acrylic side of my new cheiftec case. Can i just drill a hole through it and put a jigsaw in that and cut a circle?

wut18.gif
*poke* Ummm, that is not a very good idea. If you are cutting a smaller whole and the piece is pretty thick this is ok, it becomes problematic tha larger the piece and the thinner the sheet.
wut97.gif

I'd say just get a hole saw.

Here is the hole I made with a hole saw scanned in:

hole.jpg

jig saws will work, i think theres a blade you can get for plastics if im not mistaking

fiji said:
jig saws will work, i think theres a blade you can get for plastics if im not mistaking

The problem is not the blade, the smaller the teeth the better. The problem comes from the plastic vibrating because of the saw itself. True scroll saws *jig saws* have a 0 setting that will work but if you are inexperienced then I say good luck at keeping it from cracking.
I have lots of experience in this. If that is all you have then make sure you have enough to practice at least twice before cutting your main piece. Or simply try a hole saw or the add-on for cutting out door knobs from wood. Used properly these make great holes and if you have enough RPM you can literally melt the hole without a chance of cracking it :D Always remember to leave the coating, paper, or whatever is on top of the lexan, plastic, whatever while cutting :D

[edit] Are you sure the side of the case is acrylic? Is it a see through case? Got any pics?

I'm not sure if you have lexan or not , but if you do have lexan.. You can cut a very nice hole with a jigsaw , i did it .. it was 1/8 th inch thickness i belive and you cant crack that very easily atall,

Here is my case...

I'm pretty sure the side's acrylic.
I guess a hole saw would work, never thought of it.
:beer: :clap:

Last edited:
Ya, the Chieftech cases acryllic ont he sides, thats what i got from by just comparing it to some lexan..tap sounding stuff like that...

I think a hole saw did well on my picture above.

Once I added the chrome molding, it was perfect.

Another vote for the hole saw. You'll be pretty mad if the vibration from the jig saw cracks that pretty window. I know I'd be.

Ken

Back