• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shutdown lag???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishDog3

I am getting this bigtime lag on shutdown. I am running XP Pro sp1 with all the hotfixes installed and the OS goes through its normal routine until it gets to the blue "you system is shutting down" screen. Than the harddrive activity light goes solid and does something for about 2 minutes than the system finaly shuts down.

Also for some reason when I defrag with norto SW2k3 the main partition, that only has the OS files on it, gets to like 98% and just stays there, the drive is working, but I have let it run for 2 hours and it never finishes the defrag. This does not happen if I ues the windows drive defrag util, nor does it happen on any of the other partitions.

I did check to see that "clear swap file at shutdown" was not activated in the reg, so I don't see that as being the problem. And this just recently started happaning, I am not sure what factors set it off.

Any ideas are much apreciated, thanks.

personally, i found out which app takes forever for me to shut down... whenever windows tries to shut itself down, it takes forever... but if i close the logitech iTouch first, then it doesn't take long at all.. must be some kind of a bug....

i just shut iTouch manually before hitting "restart", and it shuts down really quickly....

so ...
just figure out what it is that's taking so long for you to shut down, and you should have a problem solved...

Thanks for the replys, I got sick of it and just reformated. But I will pay attention and see if I can find a cause if it happens again.

I get sorta the same on shutdown with windows 2000 pro. I would check it out more thoroughly, but i got a few more days till my new motherboard and processor, f*ck it!

lol

Even newly formatted mine kept getting the lag and the error in event viewer "cannot load your roaming profile,,,,,,"
When i uninstalled the hotfixes Q329170 and Q811493 it began shutting down like it is supposed to again.Only thing now is MS keeps sending notification that critical updates need dl'ing every three days.oh well.

Back