• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclock loosed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BUBBLE

How to do it correctley?

I overclocked my XP 2000+ by connecting L1 bridges but no luck. I've a MSI K4TV board and now i hate that board laso. It's multiplier is 12.5 and 13 is together so i tried that with FSB but didn't get much improvement. Later i decided to to go for 14x and then the processor speed went to 660 MHz! Can you beleive it? what is going on? anybody thinks it's a prob with my overcloking experince? It's my first overclock experince expect adjusting FSB. I wonder weither my CPU L1 bridge is connected properly but my friend finsihed it cleanley. One strange thng in my procesor is there's no laser cut in the L1 bridge area! Is that a common thing? well hoping to get some good advice to improve cause this is my first overclock experince.

Thanks

The general idea for overclocking is to see how high you can get your fsb. Increasing your fsb overclocks your whole system, where as ajusting the multiplier only overclocks your processor. If you have to, turn your multiplier way way down, and increase your fsb. Test, test, and do some more testing. I recommend something like Prime95. Find out what you can get your fsb to while still being stable. Then, when you are no longer stable, increase your vcore, ddr voltage, and vdd (chipset voltage) by one increment. Check to see if it is stable. If not, Increase again, until it is stable. When you have reached stability for sure, increase your fsb again, until your unstable once more. Rinse and repeat. Keep at this until you have reached the maximum that you want the individual voltages at. After that, try lowering one of the voltages, to see if it will run stable at a lower voltage. If it does, try lowering another voltage, or that same voltage, even lower. Do this until you become unstable again. After that revert to the last setting that was stable. After all this, increase your multiplier to see how high it will go, again, little by little. If you are once again unstable, and you don't mind upping the vcore anymore, do so to see if you are stable.

One last thing. All throughout this process, you should watch your temps, mostly your cpu temp. If you are running at any hotter than 55C, then it is too hot. 55 is actually quite hot, most people prefer under 50C. If you can stay below that for a load temp, then you should be in good shape.

This is nowhere near a complete guide, just a basic outline to helping out a beginner. Following everything I said should help you obtain a decent overclock. Remember, even though your processor isn't much of an overclock (I think the default on a 2000 is 1.73, not sure), higher fsb means better system preformance. If you were only 100 mhz over stock mhz, but had 200 fsb rather than 133 fsb, you would notice very significant difference in benchmarking. Probably in gaming too.

One Last thing. Very first thing you should do is set your APG frequency to 66mhz. Like I said, increasing your fsb overclocks your whole system, and your video card can't take that much of a beating. Set it to stock speeds, which is 66mhz.

Good luck!

Back