• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can someone clarify, KT7A 1.3 & XP2400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lakeywhite

I have searched and only found threads that say thatthey have got a KT7(non A) or a KT7A revision before 1.3 to work with an Athlon XP2400 Thoroughbred B.
I have tried putting it in my board but it seems to cause problems, either not booting or bluescreens whilst in windows.
I have the latest a9 bios from the Abit site, and have downloaded the hacked a9 bios from another thread but not installed it because it was stated not to work with a 1.3 board. Is this true because whn I downloaded the bios from Abit they did not seem to make the distinction between 1.3 or earlier revisions, so surely it is the same?

All I realy want to know is can I put this CPU in my 1.3 board and get it to run at the speed it is supposed to, I don't want to overclock the CPU.

Thanks for any help.

The boards are different. Read all about it aqt Paul's, http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=2&fcid=16 .

That chip isn't officially supported, even with the 1.3, which does officially support up to the 2100+. So you'll have to do the research yourself.
What speed does it register as when you boot up?
You ought to be able to change the multipliers with that chip. If so, I would go into the BIOS, and drop the speed down if possible.
What voltage are you running the chip at? I believe that chip's default voltage is 1.5 or 1.6 (check to make sure). Since the BIOS probably doesn't recognize the chip properly, that is another setting you'll probably have to make manually.

Try the newer B4 bios.

I have KT7A r1.3 and a Tbred 1700 with the bridges cut to the 14 multiplier and it works. I had to clear the CMOS before I could enter the bios.

repo man11 said:
The boards are different. Read all about it aqt Paul's, http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=2&fcid=16 .

That chip isn't officially supported, even with the 1.3, which does officially support up to the 2100+. So you'll have to do the research yourself.
What speed does it register as when you boot up?
You ought to be able to change the multipliers with that chip. If so, I would go into the BIOS, and drop the speed down if possible.
What voltage are you running the chip at? I believe that chip's default voltage is 1.5 or 1.6 (check to make sure). Since the BIOS probably doesn't recognize the chip properly, that is another setting you'll probably have to make manually.

I knew the boards where different, it just seemed that the bios' updates weren't different for different revisions of board, so I thought the same might be with the hacked bios, I stand corrected.
When I put the chip in previously, during the time the RAM is counted the cpu is recognised as a 2GHz one as expected, but then it runs unstable when it gets it to windows. I have just been shown that when setting up these chips that I must use a multiplier that is different to what I expected, and have just seen the translation table, so I will try to set it up correctly now in the bios.
Thanks for your help, I hope to return with good news :D

If you don't mind my asking, where is this multiplier table listed?

And also, what luck so far?

These are good motherboards, and I love reading about how some people are getting some of the latest CPU's that AMD offers to work in them. I have an XP1600 plus running in my 1.1, full time folding machine.
It was also the machine that I was supposed to use to learn all about Linux, I have Redhat and Windows 2000 on it. But I never seem to be able to make myself use the Linux.

Well, erm... I have finally got some result.
I set the multiplier to x7 which translates to x15 and the bus to 133, when I restarted.... nothing, not even post, which happened to me before when I was selecting the multiplier to be much higher. So I reset the bios and thought about fiddling about with the settings, but then thought lets just try the failsafe defaults. The bios set itself up to be >=1300cpu speed with a 12above multiplier and an FSB of 100, (which isn't correct) but it boots into windows and everything shows that it is 2GHz.
Now how do I get it to use a bus speed of 133?
I have now been told that there is a b4 bios that will work. Where do I get this from? I asked on another forum and they said it wasn't for my board, also they ABIT site shows the a9 being the latest. Is it for another board but it is compatible?

Thanks for all your help guys

I just installed an XP 2400+ into my KT7A (version 1.0) and it worked. I am using BIOS A9 downloaded from ABIT website. Yes, I experienced the same problem as you do: can not boot up using 7X (mapped to 15x) with FSB at 133 Mhz. Try 9x (mapped to 17x) and increased the voltage core to 1.75V and it should work. I tried other multiplier at FSB of 100 Mhz and everything behaved according to the multiplier table discussed in various post under this forum. I do not try to use other multiplier for FSB of 133 Mhz because I heard that it will not work and I am quite happy with 17x multiplier. I hope this will help.

Back