• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For better For worse?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, your system need serious help and you don't have much cash. The first option (especially if you're a gamer) is to get a nice vid card and then save up for a new mobo, CPU, and RAM. I would favor this route instead of sinking more cash into an obsolete system. You can then migrate the vid card to the new system.

Second option would be to sell your old stuff off to help pay for a new mobo, CPU, RAM combo. An AMD combo might be the cheapest, but an Abit BH7 and P-4 2.4B would not be a total budget buster. Then you'd have to get by with your old vid card until you can afford another.

The third option is to upgrade your vid card to maybe a Radeon 8500SE ot 9000 Pro, then get a Tualatin Celeron 1.1A and overclock it to 1.5 gig. If your mobo don't support Tualatin CPUs, you'll need to get a Powerleap adapter. If you have no hope of saving up any cash in the near future, this might be the way to go. You'll have the old CPU and vid card to try and sell at least.

um.. bh7 and 2.4b would be around 250 USD. he's in canada. that would probably be well over budget.

i would definately suggest a epox 8rda and a 1700+. both of those total around 125 USD which works out to around 200-250 canadian.

Ok, your system need serious help and you don't have much cash. The first option (especially if you're a gamer) is to get a nice vid card and then save up for a new mobo, CPU, and RAM. I would favor this route instead of sinking more cash into an obsolete system. You can then migrate the vid card to the new system.

Second option would be to sell your old stuff off to help pay for a new mobo, CPU, RAM combo. An AMD combo might be the cheapest, but an Abit BH7 and P-4 2.4B would not be a total budget buster. Then you'd have to get by with your old vid card until you can afford another.

The third option is to upgrade your vid card to maybe a Radeon 8500SE ot 9000 Pro, then get a Tualatin Celeron 1.1A and overclock it to 1.5 gig. If your mobo don't support Tualatin CPUs, you'll need to get a Powerleap adapter. If you have no hope of saving up any cash in the near future, this might be the way to go. You'll have the old CPU and vid card to try and sell at least.

i agree with batboy...except you don't need an expensive powerleap adaptor when you can get a slot-t from www.upgradeware.com for a lot cheaper...($20-30) and get the cel-T...for a total of $60

then get a 8500le ati radeon vid card (only if you game and need it)...for 60-80 on ebay or dealers...

Back