• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Stamp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janissary

After having various problems with my CPU temps (Up to 80C on full load) I finally replaced the installed cooler!? with a CoolerMaster X-Dream. Temps are at least safe now, but still not acceptable (61C on full load, Ambient tepm. 25C and case is open). I decided to lap the cooler and apply some AS3 to improve cooling, but After unmounting the heatsink I observed that the label on the CPU created a tiny engraving in the copper core of my heatsink.
Well the point is that I try to get rid of micro ridges on the heatsink, where the Cpu seems to be itself not well finished. I wonder how much the printed label on the CPU effects heat dissipation and if it is possible to lap the CPU surface?

Well I mean the codes which are printed on the core (possibly burned with a laser).

pallys had the cpu info etched into the core itself rather than on a lable like the t/bred's. that wont cause the problem, though.

Did you install the cooler the corect way around?
Does your motherboard read from the on-die sensor?

Yes, it must be the on-die sensor, since I have no other sensor intalled.

[color=ff9000]Welcome To The Forums!!![/color]

If you look at the heatsink, you will see that there is an area to one side where the whole heatsink indents. This needs to match up with the area of the socket that "pop-s out". I made this mistake when I was installing my new coolers, and my temps were about 60C. When I put them on correctly, temps went down to the mid 30's.

Back