• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a way to unlock the multiplier on a P4...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SilentandDeadly said:
a Northwood, 533 MHz FSB. I'm figuring that my overclocking limit is because of my asscrap Kingston Value RAM. >_>

Scrap the Kingston Value ram and look at some Kingston Hyper X...256MB PC3500 Hyper X 66.00/each with free 2nd day shipping at googlegear.com

I use RDRAM on this mobo. I'll have to check into HyperX, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't come in RDRAM. It's hard to come by RD anymore with Intel dropping RAMBUS off of partnership. Maybe I'll just have to upgrade my mobo and RAM (and maybe my processor too).

this is interesting. 2 threads on this subject in the last few days.

you might have thought the p4 debuted just a few months ago..........

SilentandDeadly, if you want to play with multipliers then you chose the wrong chip. AMD chips will let you do all that if you wish but since Intel makes the 800fsb chips you now have multipliers from 12-25 I think for nice chips. Now it’s just up to you to pick which multiplier you want :)

Im 90% sure your Kingston Val Ram isnt holding you back. Ive got that RAM and its at 410 (or so) FSB. This is default timings of course.

However, RAM prices have dropped a LOT. So if you want to spend/waste $60 on new RAM, then go ahead.

I agree on the Ram it seems like the most probable cause to be holding you back. But before getting new stuff you might want to try relaxing its timings, or changing the dividers etc. Sometimes you can get lucky and value ram can be good for Ocing, although its definately the exception.

Yeah I agree, the not unlockable subject should be stickied. It should also be made clear that there is no possible way to unlock them period. For a while I thought there was just no easy way to unlock them because I couldn't find any posts about it at all; and I was hoping beyond hope that there was some possible way to unlock them, whether it was pulling pins, painting them, bending pins, threading them together, anything ;) so I too posted a while back about "how to unlock?" :( don't hurt me or anything lol... I know now that they can't be unlocked, but since it was the first processor I had tried to really overclock, I didn't know much about processors/multipliers and so on. It took me a while to understand what multipliers were, and then once I realized what they were I wanted to change mine, but didn't know how and I think you can all piece together the rest of the story.

so yeah once again, STICKY please!

Well...I can't get my FSB past 136 or so lol. I have the overall clock set for my processor right now, so it's at 2533 MHz. So right now it's at 133 MHz for the FSB, so I really got some asscrap on this value RAM. Oh well, at least it still runs.

Back