• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sealant, what to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

therudyq3

I have leakage from my bay reservoir and the water block/fitting...yes I do.

Yes I have used teflon tape to fix the bay reservoir but it only fix 1 joint, the other one, the thread seems to have worn out so teflon tape doesn't work as well. it helped though.

for the water block, I don't want to unscrew the fitting and apply teflon tape. I applied some form-a-gasket number 2 formula around the fitting on the outside. It'll probably work but it'll remain wet/gooey.

my question is...is there something similar to form-a-gasket that I can apply to the threads of the reservoir fitting and when it dries it'll work and form a rubber like compound?

I like to apply this outside of the fitting of my water block as well.

Thanks for your replies

Can I use form-a-gasket hardening formula on the outside and it'll form a rubber like compound and removable later on?

use any silcone adhesive from your local diy store, they are all waterproof and when set form a rubbery selant.

No WC'ing experience (yet) but in general I would agree. Silicone sealants generally work pretty well, but may have problems sticking to some plastics.

Something I find better, but also more permanent are any of the various '**** Goop' product (Plumbers Goop, Electrician's Goop, Household Goop, Shoe Goop, etc) This stuff makes a really good glue/sealant and cures into a hard rubbery compound about like a sneaker sole. It also has problems sticking to some plastics but not as many, and virtually nothing will dissolve it once it cures. If you use it, don't plan on taking whatever it is apart without major effort.

A couple of other points...

1. You mention not wanting to take a joint apart and just applying sealant to the outside of it. This is a problematic approach at best, and I would not expect it to work long term, as the pressure is always going to be pushing the sealant away. You will be far more likely to get good results by dissassembling the joint, cleaning all surfaces, and reassembling with sealant IN BETWEEN the joint surfaces.

2. I shouldn't need to say it, but with any kind of sealant or glue, GOOD surface preparation is the key to success. In most cases it is critical to ensure that all surfaces are immaculately clean, free from any corrosion, dirt, grease, dust, etc. and are DRY... If you do this, and have a mechanically sound connection, sucess is almost guaranteed. If not, you make a seal between the contaminants, and the water leaks between the surface and the contaminants - not good.

Stay cool,

Gooserider

That kinda clear plumber goop they are describing will work well. I don't remember the name of it, but it is made from silicon and has a very odd smell...made me almost throw up when I had to use it to seal a bathtub in my house. :p

I used plumbers goop for sealing my pump, as well as when attaching barbs to my homemade res. Good stuff, $4 a tube.

Marine goop is good stuff and yes it can be removed so long as you dont get it jammed in anywhere. If all you do is cover the outside of the fitting with it you should be good to get it off again with a knife or something. If you were to remove the fitting ang lather that baby up with the stuff before putting it back in, you might have a bit of trouble getting it back out again.

There are a whole bunch of 'Goop' products, I've seen and used 'Electrician's Goop', 'Plumbers Goop', 'Automotive Goop', 'Household Goop', 'Marine Goop', etc. I've used most all of them for the same applications interchangeably, and never been able to tell them apart. The key thing is the name format "<something> Goop"

My understanding is that it's mostly a marketing thing.
The stuff in all the different tubes is the same, but when they tried to put all the stuff it was good for on one package it didn't sell because nobody would believe that it was good for so many things.

Putting the stuff in different packages aimed at different market segments gave them a whole bunch of advantages:

1. The suckers will buy more of the stuff, as they'll think it's different and get a different tube for each sort of application.

2. You can get it displayed in more different kind of stores, and in big stores get it displayed in more different departments.

3. People are more inclined to believe it will work for a specific application if the name implies that it is for that use.

4. Since each tube can be targeted towards a specific market, you can list just that market's applications and not have to worry about trying to list all the many applications on one small package.

Gooserider

Back