• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

F4

Red Raccoon Dojo
Hi there, I'm having a bit of a problem with my laptop that I'm wondering if someone could help me out with.

I recently purchased a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse, because I hook my laptop up to my TV for watching DVD's, and I wanted to be able to control it from my couch.

So, I put my laptop on top of my TV, hooked it up, plugged the base into the USB port of my laptop and started the computer. After giving Windows XP a chance to recognize the new device, it started working. I was moving it around without a problem (from about 4 feet away), and then I went to click on something, and it wasn't responding.

I tried again, and still nothing. After about 15 clicks, it worked. Then when it came time for the next click, I had the same problem.

I thought I might be getting some interference, so I moved things around a little. I put the laptop on the floor next to the TV, and positioned the base in the middle of the floor.

I still had the same problem.

Then I moved closer to the base, and I was having the same problem, no matter how close or how far away I was. I though I had just got a bad mouse, but then I came upstairs and tested it on my desktop PC, and had no problems at all.

So, the problem lies either in the laptop, or the room that I'm using it in. I'm not sure what frequency the mouse operates at, but is it possible that it could be getting interferance from a portable phone? (We have two in the house)

Also, for some strange reason there is very terrible cell phone reception in my small town (especially since we are very close to a cell phone tower), could that possibly cause interference?

I'm just throwing out ideas, although I don't beleive the problem is actually interference, since the scroll wheel, and movement have no problems at all.

Thought of something: Drivers? Have you tried anything other than the default XP drivers?

No....I just tried the XP defaults, but the XP defaults worked on my desktop.

I will try loading them into my laptop though. I'll let you know how it goes.

I think there is a small button on the bottom of the mouse you could press to try a new frequency, maybe one without the interference. Sounds to me like you have interference from the electronics in or near the TV.

Back