• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap WCing setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

katka

In about a month I'll have somewhere around $200 (it may be more, still hammering out the details). Anyway I was going to use the money to buy a 9500 Pro, but I was thinking why not get a cheaper video card and get a cheap WCing setup.

Well thing is I don't know the first thing about WCing (well I know it's better then air). So I was hoping you people could help me. What would you recommend for a cheap WCing setup that will leave me with enough money for a somewhat decent video card?

Now I'll still probley go with the 9500 Pro but I just though I'd toss ideas around (that and my dad wants me to get a differnt cooling setup because he hates the noise from this Tornado (Am I the only one that does not find it that loud?)).

Edit: I'd just want to cool the CPU and if it does not cost that much more the northbridge.

lol, I'll tell you now, just keep the air cooling. A good watercooling setup will run you about $150. The cheapest will run in at $100 but won't offer the best temps, though you could still do that, but no way to go under 100 without getting a half-assed kit - but those are more likely to heat the cpu up than cool it down

Sorry if you were looking foward to going water.

But the best cheap kit runs $105 shipped from http://www.mpcparts.com - and that would be the Thermal Take Aquarius II Water Cooling Kit, CPU cooling only.

A good entry level setup can be found at http://www.aquastealth.com/ for $115.00 Unfortunately they don't take everything into account... You can Make a simple shroud for the heatercore. Hopefully hose clamps are included, but you should ask before buying. They can be purchase at hardwae stores or home improvement stores.

I spent about 59 so far between ebay and the classifieds and have temps about 5c cooler than I did with the Volcano 7. I got a danger den 1 with plexi hold down for like $15 on ebay, got the Danger den cooling cube and 120mm fan for $15 in the classifieds and the ViaAqua 1300 for $23 shipped brand new in the classifieds and then almost $10 in fittings and clamps at home depot. It can be done, you just need to look around and put it together yourself. I saw a complete peltier water cooled kit with PS go for $200 on ebay.

I figured that WCing would cost alot, but I just wanted to throw out ideas. Although Fast420A did point out something I didn't think about before.

As far as the video card goes, it doesn't really matter what I get because I really don't do that much intensive gaming (Battlefield 1942 is the most intensive game I have and it runs fine at low detail on this GeForce 2) because I prefer Sims and TBSs to 3d games.

don't rationalize buying a cheap video card so that you can squeese in a watercooling kit, you will regret it later when you want to play the newest hippest game out and all you have is some busted up TNT2 Vanta, If you can go that low, then you don't even need a new card... :cool:

Well this card belongs to a friend of mine, so I need to get it back to him (he's having to use his TNT2 right now).

Well as things turned out I'm getting $250 (I've also got some parts I coud sell for a little more money) dollars (I'm water-proofing my mother's fence and patio) so I've got a little more money. I think I'm going to look around at used WCing parts. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some good deals, maybe I won't. Either way it doesn't matter to much.

Oh and a little off topic but how do you turn a heater core into a rad. I've been wondering this for a while, but can't seem to find any answers.

Last edited:
heh, If I explain it people will say I'm wrong. But basically the heatercore it ready to go, you just have to hook the tubing upto it.

Ok after a little more searching I found what I was looking for. It seems that all you have to do is JB-Weld (you can use sodering too, right?) the right sized barbs to the heater core. Am I right here?

I am not a machinist, and I don't know a lot about heater cores and what your trying to do, but my guess is sodering is not going to work.

patrck17 said:
I am not a machinist, and I don't know a lot about heater cores and what your trying to do, but my guess is sodering is not going to work.

Thats why we use JBWeld ;)

OK I think I found a way to do this, but I want to run it by y'all to see if it's anygood.

Waterblock: Maze-4 $41.95
Res: Bay-res 19.99
Pump: Eheim 1048 $57.00
Tubing: Clearflex 60 $7.50
Heatercore: I'd just go to the junk-yard and pick one up $10.00
Misc: (barbs,clamps, water wetter) $9.50
Total: $145.94

After that I'd still have $154.06. A 9600 Pro costs $168 from Newegg. I know I could get the $13.94 I'd need to get the 9600 Pro. Oh and yes I know the 9500 Pro is better, but Newegg didn't have is listed (it was discontinued right?) and the 9600 Pro overclocks really well.

The only thing not included in the price of the WCing setup was any adapters I'd need because I don't know if I should use 3/8th or 1/2 tubing.

Oh and my starting price is $300.00 because I'm getting $250 from my mother and I have enough stuff to sell to get $50.00.

Last edited:
Save some money on the Bay res and just get a "T" fitting for bleeding and filling. You'll also need a funnel to fill it. Use the money you saved to help with the video card. A Res is completely unneeded, but does make filling/bleeding easier.

OH! You can get a NEW Heatercore from Autozone for < $20, so why trust a junkyard part?

That's what your "T" fitting is for... You just add the water, run the pump and keep adding water till it's "full". There will be a lot of bubbles at first and you will have to check in on it quite often to top off the water. After a few hours you should be okay to leave it for a while , but check back as frequently as you can. Depending on how you route your lines this process could take anywhere from a few hours to a few days. You'll also have to move the whole thing around so the air escapes the core. Don't forget something to cap the fill/bleed line too.

Here are some pics of my rig to help you out. There are many other ways to do the same thing, so keep your mind open and think about how the whole thing works.

Thanks. One last question, what size tubing should I go with. I think I remember reading somewhere that 3/8th is best for inline, but I may be wrong.

Go with 1/2" - There is no best tubing for inline, its all the same stuff but the 1/2" would be better in many ways, including some lower temps I'm sure

Back