• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help question bout changing my fsb on board for the 1700+ b core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechnoNRGKid

Aight, first off, I made another topic after i OC'ed my cpu fsb, and then there is this one, I dont know exactly how to edit them, so i can get all the answers, maybe i should of put this in the other post. But please bare with this ONE time only kinda double topic post.
I still have different end questions in this topic than the other.

Here is the whole situation:

I have sdram of pc133mhz wich is 64mb's and another stick thats 128 of 100mhz. I put the 133mhz on the first slot on my drive, that way it's reading the faster memory first. My board is at 100mhz fsb. I dont want to goto 133mhz cause i dont want to push the 100mhz 128mb of ram to what it cant do.

So, after a while i wanted to check out the speed with just the 133mhz of 64mbs ram. So i took out the 128mb 100mhz ram and only ran the 64mbs 133mhz stick, and put the jumper to 133mhz.

i reboot, it's now at 1.4 gigs mhz. Xp ran slow cause it did'nt have enough ram obviously. After seeing this, and finding out exactly how it would react. I put back in the old stick of 128mbs , 100mhz ram, and put the jumper BACK to 100mhz fsb. Now i reboot into XP, and my processor STILL reads 1.4 gig mhz's!

I know i put it back, and i know im not putting extra stress on my ram, so what happened? did i just open up the processor to run a steady 1.4 on 100 fsb? lol

i have'nt put the 64mbs 133mhz stick in by itself again yet, to see if the speed kicks up higher than 1.4 now.

whats going on? what did i just do?

no matter what i do , it reads 1.4 now. i mean , i restarted my computer, checked the cpu speed in "dxdiag", "system information", right clicking "my computer" and there all the same.

?

one other thing,
i know it seems correct that it would stress your ram of 100mhz if you put it to 133mhz fsb, but just to be sure, is that correct?

Last edited:
TechnoNRGKid said:

I put the 133mhz on the first slot on my drive, that way it's reading the faster memory first. My board is at 100mhz fsb.

i reboot, it's now at 1.4 gigs mhz. Xp ran slow cause it did'nt have enough ram obviously. After seeing this, and finding out exactly how it would react. I put back in the old stick of 128mbs , 100mhz ram, and put the jumper BACK to 100mhz fsb. Now i reboot into XP, and my processor STILL reads 1.4 gig mhz's!

I know i put it back, and i know im not putting extra stress on my ram, so what happened? did i just open up the processor to run a steady 1.4 on 100 fsb? lol

whats going on? what did i just do?

no matter what i do , it reads 1.4 now. i mean , i restarted my computer, checked the cpu speed in "dxdiag", "system information", right clicking "my computer" and there all the same.

?

one other thing,
i know it seems correct that it would stress your ram of 100mhz if you put it to 133mhz fsb, but just to be sure, is that correct?

first off what slot the higher rated ram is in doesnt make any difference at all. i guess i can understand why you might believe that, but most overclockers would think the very notion was very silly.

2nd- I think the reason you are seeing 1.4 in windows is because windows is reading the ID from the chip itself and not actually reading the clockspeed on the chip. For future reference use WCPUID for checking the clockspeed and bus on a chip.
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002374/src/download.html

lastly- yes putting ram higher than spec stresses it. usually it will take more voltage to reach higher clockspeeds

I've been using WCPUID AND GCPUID for the longest, even on my older comps. I used EVERY cpu monitoring tool i know of and they all came up the same as 1.4 mhz.
Well, You dont know me, but give me alittle more credit for using the simple windows monitoring tools lol.

But Still, windows would be pretty stupid to read the ID from a cpu chip instead of the Actual mhz you have. That is why they made it, and has displayed it correctly on all the computers i have checked it with in the past.

K , back on da speed thing and windows lol...

the 133mhz DOES make a difference in speeds on wich slot it is in.
I ran at 100mhz of 128mbs of ram on the first slot, and 64mbs of 133 mhz on the second slot for a good 6 months or more in the past. Then i open my comp up one night, and decide to just switch it, thinking in my head Since it's faster, MAYBE it will have an effect. So I switched them, and Windows Responded quicker.

Think of it this way, if it would'nt respond quicker, than why do they make different speed ram? pc100 and pc133 would simply be the same thing. They number the slots on the board for a reason too. ;)
Maybe , maybe it's different for it not mattering what slot DDR ram is in, but as for pc sdram, it does matter.

lastly- yes putting ram higher than spec stresses it. usually it will take more voltage to reach higher clockspeeds

::Shakes head yep::
As i was monitoring my cpu temps through a software program that came with my motherboard, the temps raised too 41C. Since i lowered the fsb, it's at 39 now. started out at around lower 30s, forget which exactly now. as the bios setting said
"CPU FSB/Voltage Increaser" ( something like that for the voltage part ), I expect the voltage too increase. Dont know how the heck biostar got them both together though , I only see a FSB Increaser.
:p

1.) if your system is running at 100 mhz fsb then the pc133 ram will only run at 100 mhz which means it doesnt matter which slot its in, it wont run faster.

2.) the thing about your PC @ 1.4 ghz running with the pc100 ram is probably cause your overclocking that ram to run at 133 mhz fsb.
Even though you say that its set on the 100 mhz fsb jumper, one thing that can override it is what fsb thats set on the bios. So make sure the fsb is set to 100 fsb on the bios also.

Gremlin your absolutely correct.
It makes more sence to me now. Since the JUMPERS on my motherboard are set to 100MHZ, then that's what the WHOLE board will be running at, or more specific, all my ram slots, gotcha.

Same for the 133mhz jumper setting, ahhh! lol
And yes, i remember in Bios seeing the setting on the Darkened grayed disabled ddr settings menu , saying "133mhz". I realized then that it was set through bios at 133. BUT, i cant change it in bios. I think i have to enable my ddr settings, but i dont have any ddr. Guess i can still enable it.

Thats funny, i change the jumper on the board, it sets my bios to 133mhz ( of course ), but when i set my jumper BACK to 100mhz on the board, it does not change my setting in bios Back to the same. lol.

Hmm one question though,
how long ya's think my pc100 stick of ram will last till it just passes out from exaustion?

Better stay away from quake 3 and any games that put stress on the computer of the likes.

Hope it last while im playing Enemy Territory.

heres what u can do, leave that pc100 ram in and run your system at 133mhz fsb then run memtest86 from www.memtest86.com. If it passes then you should be fine running at 1.4 ghz with both your pc100 and pc133 ram.
btw what brand are the ram?

Ahh! Your RIGHT with me Gremlin.
I went Here
and found out more about OCing 100mhz ram.
They suggested quake 2, and winbench 99. I will run the one you said, plus these 2. getting quake 2 right now.

He said
I was totally amazed to find my old LGS PC100 RAM taking second place with stability at 138Mhz

Thats sort of like this ram card i have,it's doing 133 really good, although i have'nt ran a benchmark with it yet. i ran sisoft's burn in a few days ago, but that was before the increase in fsb.

Im trying to find out what brand it is. It's really old is all i know. maybe i can open sisoft and i can copy the numbers that pops up when i roll over it in a search engine.

Back