• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Checking GPU temps -- Cooling 9500P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adelphia83

Is there a way to check the GPU temps on an FIC 9500 Pro?

I'm getting ready to throw a new heatsink on, but I'd like to know just how far I should go, whether I should throw on a Volcano 9, Igloo 2410 Heatsink (aluminum monster), or just settle with a smaller K6/2 heatsink I have laying around. Any suggestions?

With just an upgraded fan (5500rpm 70mm), I have the core speed at 365 without any problems. I'd like to jump thing higher (if possible), but I have no idea how far the above cooling will take me.

Also it seems impossible to drill holes into the Igloo heatsink (fins are too close together), so it would have to be mounted with Alumina Adhesive thermal compound *ONLY*. Is this wise, or do I risk damaging the core, or having the heatsink fall off as a result? I'm leaning toward this option, as the heatsink itself is smaller than the Volcano 9's, and it should provide ample cooling for just about any overclock.

What do you all think? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

? 9500 pros you cant mod into 9700's. Only the 9500 non pro with the L shape layout of ram instead of all in a straight line. For the temp sensor it seems attaching it to the back of the card over the gpu works pretty good. You could drill that igloo heatsink from the base up and then maybe grind down the bolt to fit between the fins. Or just get a clamp setup to give more support to the gpu core and the heatsink. I wouldnt worry about the heatsink falling off the gpu but rather the gpu falling off with the heatsink still attached.

Eh, no problem it happens sometimes. Well for the vid card cooling I personaly like using a large heatsink and then have an 80mm close to the front on the video card blowing across the back and front of the card. You get more airflow vs noise compaired to a 70mm fan and better cooling. Hope this helps.

wildfrogman said:
Eh, no problem it happens sometimes. Well for the vid card cooling I personaly like using a large heatsink and then have an 80mm close to the front on the video card blowing across the back and front of the card. You get more airflow vs noise compaired to a 70mm fan and better cooling. Hope this helps.

Can you recommend a specific heatsink to use for the setup you have described? I'm getting some info on the best possible air cooling I can do for the 9500np I will buy in a few weeks (hoping it will softmod successfully).

Ahhl the best, ok the best would be a heatsink that doesnt block too many pci slots if you need to use them and still cools the gpu down really well. Also a heatsink that is designed to have air flow from side to side since it will work very well in a custom 80mm duct. That is with the fan infront of the vid card blowing towards the back of the case with half of the fan on each side of the video card. If noise is not an issue I would use up a 80~92mm high flow delta~vantec fan. An alpha 8045 with the corners cut off a bit and a very secure mounting setup i believe would be the best. I have seen the fans attached directly to the video card with angle brackets if the video card has the holes in the corners. This set up would cool the entire card very well. You may be able to find a 1U alpha pin fin heatsink and that should save you one pci slot. But overall its a compromise. You either get a huge heatsink with a delta fan attached to the top of the heatsink and lose most of your pci slots or make somthing more effecient that cools very closly to the same levels. Possibly even better depending on how loud of a 80~92mm fan you decide to use. The thermalright heatsinks wouldnt work so well with air blowing sideways which is to bad but ohwell. I hope this helps out a bit more. Oh, and to do a simple check on that radeon 9500pro you could just use the "feel" test and see if its burning hot or just really warm. I would caution you to ground yourself first so you dont zap your vid card.

Back