• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom 3!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabkicks

Will the 9800 be able to run Halflife 2 and Doom3 at max graphics settings and support all of the DirectX and Opengl features those games support?? Should i just wait for the GeforeceFX 5900? also? what's better the 800FSB 3ghz P4 or the Athlon XP 3200?

how long is a piece of string?

anser is:nobody knows. the games arnt finalised, so it would be stupid to say "this will run it, but this wont" ect.

as for the cpus: the p4 is better

Wow that was a fast relpy...like 30 seconds. yeah, but i've seen peopledoing Benchmarks using Doom 3. so i figured somebody knew what the graphics ingine was going to utilize. So no one knows....?

I was hoping that the release of HL2 & DX:IW was going to speed the release but alas...

I dont think Doom 3 is going t obe all that people hyped about, IMHO Halflife 3 will be a better game. Its going to be mod able, that meens we will get CS2, DoD2, and mabe evern Team Fortress 2?!

All i have to say is, why would you include no multiplayer in this world of broadband?

Why are you guys comparing modability and graphics for games that aren't even on the market yet?

yeah, but i've seen people doing Benchmarks using Doom 3

Why whould you use an unfinished version of a game to test your system or video card? That's even sillier than compairing graphics for games that aren't even released.

Considering how they are using the Radeon 9800 in all the tech demos and game demos you've most likely seen for HL2 that is about the same performance you should expect. Though they haven't shown a frame rate in any of the demos that I have seen It sure ran quite smooth with all the details cranked way up.

I should think that HalfLife 2 will run fine on a 9800. They used a 9800pro for their tech demos at e3 apparantly. Go search for halflife2 E3 videos, and download some, you'll see it looks fantastic and runs smoooooothly.

Actually, I don't think Half-life 2's engine is very taxing. With aniso and FSAA turned off, the Radeon 9800 is actually quite capable... just because it's slow with a very early Doom 3 alpha doesn't mean that it won't be able to run any future games well.

I'm gonna like both of them...I think.
HL2 will have more replay value because of the multiplayer aspect, never the less I trust I should be able to run it at a decent clip with a touch of AA on to keep the jaggies away.

The fact is that DoomIII and HL2 are at the most in Beta mode and that any speculation we make about performance is just that....speculation. I will say that both ID and Valve are smart enough not to release a game that only runs on 5% of the computers out there ;).

Am i the only person who cannot believe Doom 3 can possibly live up to the hype that has surrounded it since it was first announced? I see all these posts about how stunning the graphics are "Look at the detail on the paint peeling off the walls in this screenshot", "Great, coz when i play FPS games i love standing around looking at peeling paint on the walls" blah blah blah... Look at what happened to Unreal 2, nice graphics, boring game, no replay value whatsoever... do you really think Doom 3 will be any different??

Back