• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom 3!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lukozer said:
As someone already mentioned, who the hell would release a game that would not be able to be run well at max detail on a Radeon 9800 Pro??? Considering those who have 9800 Pro's will also have the other hardware to back it up, it would be a financial catastrophe of biblical proportions if the game was released when it couldn't be played at max settings at 1024x768 on such a system. That would effectively make it unplayble on 99% or more of all home systems. Sure there would be people who buy it and the money is made initially..... but would then be lost from the hordes who return it due to it being unplayable even on a PC that is considered close to state-of-the-art. If ID release Doom 3 in such a state, they would be doing little more than commiting commercial suicide..... and somehow i doubt anyone there is that stupid.

When Quake 3 was released, there wasn't a system around that could play it at max settings. But look at it now. Almost every system w/ a half-decent video card can now. That's what Doom III will be like.

Oni said:

When Quake 3 was released, there wasn't a system around that could play it at max settings. But look at it now. Almost every system w/ a half-decent video card can now. That's what Doom III will be like.

I think expectations of hardware performance and graphics quality (though not necessarily game quality) has risen somewhat since then. I still think it would be a really bad move by ID if they release Doom 3 without significant optimisations to allow for, say, average 30fps at 1024x768 on average graphics settings on a..... i'll stick my neck out here.... Radeon 9000 Pro maybe?

Lukozer said:

I think expectations of hardware performance and graphics quality (though not necessarily game quality) has risen somewhat since then. I still think it would be a really bad move by ID if they release Doom 3 without significant optimisations to allow for, say, average 30fps at 1024x768 on average graphics settings on a..... i'll stick my neck out here.... Radeon 9000 Pro maybe?

lol, no man, joe sixpacks always buy the cheapest stuff and they get cheap quality, i think that the r9600np will suit better in that sentence

Yeah the moment i posted that i was thinking.... A 9000 Pro??? I must be mad... That said, i'd hope a 9600 would do better than that, it's not that much lesser a card than my current one (I say that as if i intend on buying Doom 3....??)

Last edited:
What is so impressive about HL2 anyway? Doom3 already does & will kick some a55!!!

Obviously the Radeon 9800 PRO is not the best card to run Doom3. I think ATI's next iteration will make some changes.

I think both Nvidia and ATi's cards will run the games just fine. I would suspect that the Doom 3 Engine will end up being more CPU and Memory dependent much like the Quake 3 Engine is. So long as i can run the game with little to no hardware lag ill be pleased for both. Carmack has a knack for optimizing games to run on low end systems.

i would personally wait for the geforcefx5900, there have been a couple reviews, and it blows the 9800 out of the park, a long with a major performance gain in doom 3, just my .02c

bagel5009 said:
i would personally wait for the geforcefx5900, there have been a couple reviews, and it blows the 9800 out of the park, a long with a major performance gain in doom 3, just my .02c

u seen the IQ comparisons? the 9800 pro wins out easily in all categories and with playable framerates, it also does AA with better performance

looks like the classic ATI vs. Nvidia arguements. the ATI card will boast greater performance with quality settings while the nvidia will be purely speed based. if i were asked to settle the debate i'd say the 9800 is the better card in this situation because;

A. it plays much better at full image quality than any other card. this takes more power to do so if a card chokes on quality settings than it would be the weaker.

B. Doom 3 has nvidia optimizations. without said optimizations the nvidia cards would more than likely trail the ATI cards.

i'm not a "fanboy" of either side. i side with superior products not my ego. a spade's a spade.

I was reading an article about how major software companies are now leading the way in major hardware upgrades, "Software company A approaches Hardware Company B. they agree to work together and Software company A developes a game that only a handful of people in the current market can play to its full potential. Hardware company B then releases it next generation of hardware. Joe Six pack goes out and spends his money on the upgrade" I would like to kno what the new 3D Benchmark did for Video card sales ! As you can probably bet that alot of people went out and upgraded! This is the same i feel as what Doom ]I[ is going to be as it probably has the Nvidia logo at the begining. But if this is the future of how software developers work together with Hardware companies get ready to upgrade something everytime a new top title comes out!

Sorry to go off on a tangent but the 5900 Ultra is not main stream yet and Futuremark already slapped Nvidia's hands for rigging the benchmarks hows to say that they haven't done it again? As the saying goes "The proof is in the pudding" I will be holding onto my 9800 pro alittle while longer thankyou oh and my GF4 4600 ti they both seem above the average card still !

Back