• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Least notticable HTTP port ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
Are there any ports that ISP's pay no attention to ? TCP ports, i want to run a website, but I also don't want them to really noticed that I am running one. it's ok with them that I do, but I don't like them checking out my stuff :)

I would think that anything that isn't on port 80 would probably not be checked too closesly. A lot of people are able to get away with running on 8080 even when their ISP is actively trying to block web servers.

Anything but port 80 or 8080 should be OK. Also consider the ports commonly used by other services which the ISP may want to block (for example, running a webserver on port 21 isn't wise if your ISP blocks FTP).

I would personally pick a port in the unprivileged (1023+) range, which is not commonly used for any other services. That would make it less likely to be detected should your ISP run port scans. If they check all your ports, though, they will find it.

I wouold like to add that this also looks a lot like the two previous threads about "stealing" internet. basically trying to get around the usage agreement you signed with your ISP when you started your service. and its illegal.

pik4chu said:
I wouold like to add that this also looks a lot like the two previous threads about "stealing" internet. basically trying to get around the usage agreement you signed with your ISP when you started your service. and its illegal.

I would reread the first post :D He specifically says that his ISP allows you to have a server but he doesn't want them looking at his site.

Kendan said:

I would reread the first post :D He specifically says that his ISP allows you to have a server but he doesn't want them looking at his site.

ah, my mistake, sorry. read the last sentance as something like "I dont want them to see what Im doing" :D

So, Ill answer it ;)

If you are hosting off a windows machine (thats not XP) you can use ports like 1023-1500 or so, if you have XP(dont know if itwould work for webserver but still) you have a range from 1023-~20000. but I would still stick below 1500. just make sure that in the DNS servers you tell them the correct port you are using for the webpage or no one can get to it.

Don't use 80, 81, 443, or 8080, those are common ports that webservers are run on.

I wouldn't run it on something obvious, like 21, 1337, 31337, or, anything under 1023 (the services port range), really.

I ran mine on 1024, but once you get over 10,000 noone really bothers scanning that high. (unless it happens to be a known trojan port). However, the higher it is, the more painful it is to tell people in URLs (if it's just for image hosting, then it's not that big of a deal).

Easy to remember ports are better, like 11111 22222 33333 44444 55555, 12345, etc

yeah im using my country code and area code ;) hehe

pik4chu said:

ah, my mistake, sorry. read the last sentance as something like "I dont want them to see what Im doing" :D

So, Ill answer it ;)

If you are hosting off a windows machine (thats not XP) you can use ports like 1023-1500 or so, if you have XP(dont know if itwould work for webserver but still) you have a range from 1023-~20000. but I would still stick below 1500. just make sure that in the DNS servers you tell them the correct port you are using for the webpage or no one can get to it.

and imusing apache so it dosent matter what i use :) im using in the 18XX range :)

Back