• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to enter watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McWarren

Hey guys, I just wanted to take a minute to let you all know that I'll soon be entering the wonderful world of watercooling.

I set out to do it because I want to overclock my rig with good results - I need the juice before Half-Life 2 comes out :) . Second, I wanted a reasonable level of noise- I like the idea of stuffing my case full of noise prevention foam whilst keeping everything only a few degrees above room temperature.

The only foreseeable drawback to watercooling was that it looked so expensive, and being a student finding the hard currency was very difficult, even with a part time job. So, with the aid of my local Yellow Pages, I set off and grabbed 2' of copper- one piece 1/8"x2"x1', and another 3/8"x2"x1'. Props to my buddy Dan for driving me here, there and everywhere to get me the copper and some tools!

Following the excellent article by Owen on his multi-holed WB, I produced my very own block. Props to co-worker Dave for letting me use his drill press and fishing out the end of a sheared drill bit for me!

Preliminary testing with a cheap £15 water feature pump went well, all was free of leaks, core crushing and over heating!

That was all last week. Today, I went to the local Vauxhall (Opel in America?) spares supplier, looking for a radiator. All the rads were huge, and the guy told me that's as small as they come.

Then somebody shouted from underneath the wreck of an old written-off Omega, "Maybe he's after a heater rad?". "Hmm," I thought, does a 'Heater Rad' = 'Heatercore'? He fished one out of a wheel barrow full of junk and said "Just pulled it out- doesn't look like it should leak, does it look like what you're after?" He handed it too me, and it appeared that a 'Heater Rad' does equal 'Heatercore'. I said it was exactly what I was after, and asked how much he wanted for it...

"Useless to me mate, you can 'ave it". Score! Free radiator!
Props to my Dad for driving me down there!

I put all my system together in the back garden and ran it for an hour on a high power pump that can do 5m3hr-1 (5 cubic meters per hour) and all was well.

Tomorrow, I'm mounting it all in my case. If it goes well, I'll get a proper pump and start machining an NB and GPU block. Wish me luck!

Cool! grats on the free rad :D but remember! before putting it togheter that you need some distilled water (not the walmart kind, people have had bad experiences with it) and maybe some additives (check in the coolin stickies forum). Good luck with your WC setup! hope you get good temps! and when your finnished pics would be greate :D

Good luck man, props on getting free stuff and making your own block, that makes you a hero in my mind ;) ABout additivies to the water I would suggest WaterWetter, helps cooling alot, and make sure you have good distilled water to prevent gunky buildup and stuff. Again the best of luck to you.

Im VERY happy for you! i soon will be getting my feet wet... i will have 110$$ to spend towards my comptuer which will include water cooling + an xp 1700... I just did my first computer tech support job today and i made 65$$(20$ an hour!!) im so happy!

How did you break the bit? I'm in the middle of making a pair of multi-hole blocks with a friend, and would appreciate any tips you can give on how to avoid screwing stuff up... So far we've only messed up part of a 3" chunk, but only on one end, so we might be able to salvage a GPU block out of it... :rolleyes: (Basically, 1/4" holes drilled 1/4" apart can get messed up if they overlap slightly... We had the drill walk all the way into the next hole. Not good. Now we're using a 3/16" bit with a lot more success.)

I don't want to ruin your thread or anything, but I am also getting into watercooling and I ordered that Watter Wetter stuff and was wondering if you can put UV DYE in the water as well? Good luck I hope we both succeed! :)

I'm water cooled baby!

OK, so it took a little while longer than I anticipated to get it all installed, but it's been working for just over 2 days without a hitch!

I know watercooling by itself is no big deal, but I'm very proud of the fact that so much of my setup was obtained on the cheap. Also, my temps don't appear to be great- about 45C peak under load, but this could be a combination of an NF7-S, a low-flow pump, and a not-incredibly efficient multi-hole block.

Things are pretty tight in my case, so I don't think I'll be going for full-out VGA and chipset cooling just yet, I might just use up the rest of the copper on some blocks and flog 'em on Ebay :D

Back