• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't install games in XP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC'ed in .ca

This is starting to get annoying. For some odd reason I cannot install any games on my rig. You'd think the CD's are bad but they work fine in other peoples systems.

- I have tried changing the CDROM to a DVD-ROM to a CD-R to a CDRW and nothing. I can't install anything on my system.

Examples:

Trying to install Medal of Honor. I pop the second CD and it craps out at 86%.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Is this an XP issue? Is there a fix?

Desperate to play games. Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks

You think it could be as easy as that?

I hope so. Haven't defragged in a bit so I'll check now. :(

Thx for the tip. More are welcomed.

I have a few questions...

How big is your hard drive?
How much space left?
Do you have anti-virus s/w running?

-Bobby

Its a 40 GB partitioned in two. (5 and 55)

The 5GB is a gig and a half away while the 35 GB is around 21.4GB away.

Yes I have anti-virus software running.

Let me know.

Turn off anti-virus before installing any software. It can really mess up the software you're installing.

-Bobby

Welcome to the forums OC'ed in .ca.

I've had that problem with W2K or ME (not sure), I downloaded a demo and it would crap out at 62% orso, after downloading the demo 3 more times it still didn't work.
So I decided to go through all settings....DMA for the HDD wasn't enabled, after enableing DMA it installed fine.

It might not be your problem but it sure is worth to take a look at.

How to enable DMA in XP (Read this one too).
If XP asks for the CD while it's already in the drive you might need to install this patch.

Back