• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD drive not recognised in BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atomic_Sheep

Hi,

I'm in the process of completely re-installing my computer. I have Ubuntu installed on a separate HDD and in my infinite wisdom (I've probably got about 2 hours total use experience with linux so far), I went ahead and though I'll unmount my DVD drive because I thought it must be like any other device, when the computer reboots, it'll come back up again. But now I'm faced with a problem.

Here's where it gets a bit interesting/wierd. I have two drives a DVD and a blue ray. I have my W7 boot disk in the DVD drive. For the moment, I have a W7 installed but as I mentioned looking for a fresh install. If I mash f12 during boot and then specify boot from CD-ROM, it asks me "press any key to boot from dvd rom". If I press any key, it boots into W7 installation as expected. (The only problem is, in the installer, I'm greeted with http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/$CXIV/ATTACH-AEEE-9K5QL8/$FILE/installation error.png and I can't progress with the installation). However, I disconnected my blue ray and all of sudden, I no longer get the prompt "press any key to boot from dvd rom", it goes straight into windows. So it seems that BIOS only prompted me because of my Blue ray? But then both my disc drives are listed in my device list. So I'm not sure how any of what I described is possible. Anyone have any ideas? What else can I do to troubleshoot this?

Ok, things aren't as wierd as I thought. I mixed up the DVD and Blue ray drive cables. So my DVD drive is definitely the one plugged in now. It's recognised by BIOS and W7 but the W7 installer is still complaining.

Are you trying to do a dual boot windows/linux setup using one hard drive? Do you have more than one hard drive installed on the system?

If you are doing dual boot setup then Windows must be installed first, linux second.

Got everything working, windows installer just needed me to install the drivers for the mobo drivers disk. Me unmounting it in Linux must have deleted the drivers??? I don't know, all working now.

Yep had to remove the second hard drive with linux on it to install W7.

Back