• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

corsair 3200 is it worth to buy low latency?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grifff

Registered
I am planning to buy a nf7-s with a barton 2500+ and one stick of 512pc3200 c2 of corsair memory. First question is about dual chan.. i've read that you can get a higher fsb with just one stick of memory. Is this true? And second is it worth to buy the special low latency memory or is 512mb pc3200 c2 good enough to get some high fsbs (above 200).

You should be OK with the ram, but other things may or may not hold you back. 200 fsb is pretty high, you might be able to hit it and maybe not, due to MB or processor limits. Check the CPU Database for what other people get with your mobo/CPU.
That should be good ram, some can get up to... 210? a little higher? but you may need a lot voltage, a wild cooling setup, etc.. Barton? You got the bucks to do it, I guess! Best to err on the safe side for the speeds you are talking about, get the LL. You might be able to get the regular C2 to higher fsb speeds by slowing down the memory timings, but I think that is self-defeating.

don't quote me on this but I think you get better overall performance (throughput) with two sticks, being that you can use more pathways on the bus with two sticks.

i have xms twin-x 2-256mb 3200 LL im at 196x9.5 i went over 200 but my cpu cooling is lousy which will be solwed soon otherwise i kan get over 200 no problem and i run dual channel also

I have a follow up question too:

Is it worth to get LL over C2, from newegg LL is about $35-40 more expensive than C2?

"Is it worth to get LL over C2, from newegg LL is about $35-40 more expensive than C2?"

I suppose it depends on how much money you have! Seriously, if you have an overclocked Barton and need even more speed, it would help some. If you spent the $35-40 elsewhere you might get more performance... Buying a faster graphics card, if you play games, makes more sense. e.g. Going from an ATI Radeon 9500 to a 9500 pro or 9600 pro makes more sense (the price difference is about $47). You might be able to get a few more MHz out of the LL memory than the C2, but usually the motherboard or processor holds you back from the stratospheric speeds. The C2 is pretty fast, and pretty expensive. Most people would be proud to have that in their machine!

I just ordered 2 x CMX512-3200C2 for $102 shipped from GameVE. It's the cheapest I've seen for these sticks by $10.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up on a good deal if you plan on getting them.

-Bobby

Back