• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crate Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pummer

I pieced this computer together from spare parts i had lying around and an old crate that was used to carry records (45s) back in the day. I love how ghetto it is. It is rig #2 in my sig, and it is net-connected. Pics:

cratecomp1.jpg

cratecomp2.jpg

cratecomp3.jpg

cratecomp4.jpg

cratecomp5.jpg

Its my first mod, be nice
:D

Meant to be functional, not fashionable.

I like it:D

I am a big fan of ghetto computers and mods- some great creativity shown and Functionality is priority.

Only danger I see with that setup (besides the general "computer not in a case bit) is some of the wiring looks like it could easily be snagged by something......which might pull parts loose or break something. Wireloom or electrical tape can help control the wires and keep them saf(er).

Mm...very ghetto indeed. I kind of like it, but as rogerdugans said, watch out for those cables...would be horrible to rip one out of a card or something.

Yeah, the only loose cables are all the peripheral cables so it should be ok. I don't want any fixed stuff 'cause I want portability to be key.

EDIT: Yeah, the IDE cables and extra PSU cables are not great, I'm gonna clean them up with electrical tape and zip ties respectively.

Last edited:
I like it :), I always think open components look cooler than a windowed case anyday, and long as you don't have kids/pets running around I don't think the wires are anything to worry about.

I'm looking to build my next mod inside some sort of plastic toy castle. kinda like inside this one, the PC would light up and dual function as a playset ;)
castle1.jpg
for some reason the image won't show, but heres a link http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/norika1000/castle1.jpg

Nice work. From the subject line I figured it was a plastic milk crate. I like the wood one better. I think you should have used an "apple" crate though : )

I like it! I would eventualy spill a beer on it and fry myself! If you don't drink you have a nice setup. btw Frozen fears I love the castle grey skull pc idea! :D Please post pics when you build it.

I love it! At least you don't have to worry about case cooling now.

FrozenFears said:
I like it :), I always think open components look cooler than a windowed case anyday, and long as you don't have kids/pets running around I don't think the wires are anything to worry about.

I'm looking to build my next mod inside some sort of plastic toy castle. kinda like inside this one, the PC would light up and dual function as a playset ;)
castle1.jpg
for some reason the image won't show, but heres a link http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/norika1000/castle1.jpg

Hmm, that's quite the idea FrozenFears. I think I just may have to try my hand at building a Lego case...

just watch out for those pci cards. I set up something similar, and I had it on the floor one day, and I kicked the video card (yup, a pci one) and broke the pci slot. it still works, cause the connectors themselves were ok, the slot is really shaky now though

FrozenFears said:

castle1.jpg

not to ruin the originality of the idea, but some friends of mine actually put a computer in side that exact playset before :(, or maybe it was made out of legos. but it was castle gray skull. it was for the case mod contest at quakecon 2 years ago i believe. the towers were for the exhaust. the computer ran for like a year, then died. they said it ran really hot. ill try to find pics of it.

Back