• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Screen for Desktop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dr Jibba Jabba

Last year at college I used my huge 19 inch CRT monitor which occupied 3/4 of my small desk. This year I was looking for cheap LCD screens but couldn't find any that met a college kid budget.

I have a Compaq Pentium 2 Laptop that I have been eyeing thinking "is it possible to take the screen off and use it for my desktop?"

I never use this laptop so I its allow to die for the cause. I pretty much just use my monitor to program and browse the web. I realize that it would be a bit small to game with, as the screen is like 12 inches.

Now my question is, is there a way to steal the screen from the laptop to use for a desktop? If so what parts do I need to take off the laptop?

I have a GeForce 4200 Ti, with and LCD controller on it, if that helps at all.

i remember reading somewhere that this is totally our of any normal persons capabilities. i believe it was stated that it can be done, but the cost and effort involved was far too high. use search as i am too lazy. it may have not even been on this forum, but i still believe that you could not do it with any normal person's knowledge.
good luck anyway :-/

Back