• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

possible to reset mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

somehow, i managed to mess up what i think is my motherboard (i know what my mobo is, but i dont know exactly where the problem is; i think its my mobo). i reset the cmos, but that didnt work. is there anything else i can do, that would maybe reset all data on the mobo, like bios or something?

thanks

did you take your battery out, or did you pull the jumper out to reset? if you did either then you should let it sit for a minute, if it doesn't reset then your jumpers should have a reset setting move it over to that and boot up and then see if things are different

To flash the BIOS you have to be able to get into DOS/Award Flash utility (if your motherboard has it). Look in your motherboard manual and make sure you are clearing CMOS the correct way, as some motherboards have different ways to reset it.

i know i reset the cmos correctly... theres a jumper that i have to short, which i did, and the boot-up told me i did it right. i dont think i can get into dos, but ill try. ill also try taking out the battery after that.

post again when done.....

well i got into dos, but my c: doesnt have nething on it, and it wont let me format it from a dos boot disk. ill try to mess around with it to see if i can salvage any os that might be on it, but if i cant, ill try the battery method.

Ya windows xp is the way to go but only if you have more then 128m ram set your cd to boot first in bios then follow prompts it is a good os

ran into a problem; i realized i cant find my windows xp disc.... only office xp pro. it wouldnt be possible to install win xp pro off the office xp pro cd, would it?

p.s. i have 256 mb ram

Well, if you can get into windows setup, then I don't think that it is a motherboard problem. If you want to update your BIOS, go to your motherboard manufacturers site, and download the latest BIOS and flash utility to a floppy (on another computer). Then go to DOS and use the utility to flash...that might help.
And no, it would not be possible to install windows from the office xp cd. However, you might have some luck calling Microsoft. Just tell them what happened, and you never know, they might send you a replacement CD (as long as you can find your CD key).

Back