• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9500NP idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Namagomi

Disabled
Check it out. I'm looking for a fun little project card for a new box, so i was thinking about throwing this together for core cooling

9500idea.PNG

Thte gold things are nuts, the grey is a bolt, dark green is foam, brown is a metal crossmember, the green is a washer, the red is the card, black the core, orange a SK-6+ and the blue a fan.

I'd love to do this, but i first need a little help from any existing 9500np owners...

What is the 9700 mod success rate?
Volt-mod success?
How many predrilled holes does the card have in it? 2 are on the stock cooler, but i was wondering if there were more holes in the card itself.
What in the ID (inside diameter) of the holes? Approxmiately.
What are the best ramsinks for this beast?
Are there any better ways to mount a 60mm heatsink on a 9500np?
Would a 70mm TMD fan be better than say, a 60mm stealth fan?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Also, those are 4 ram chips on the front, and 2 on the back, right?

Speaking of RAM, what would be the best ramsinks to put on this beast? I'm leaning towards 6 of the Tweakmonster BGA ramsinks, as they are compact, and copper niceness :D

Last edited:
SK-6 or SK6+ for sure. Not just for weight, but for ease of modding. The SK-7 clip is integral and would have to be cut away.

Oh sweet. Didn't know about the clip. Much thanks. Now i just need to find a place that sells tweakmonter BGA ramsinks, sk6+'s, Sunon 70x15mm maglev fans, and 70mm adpaters for sk6+'s :( No luck yet. Looks like i'll have to be buying from two vendors

Anyone see a problem with the design so far? I plan on drilling though the sk6 to have it meet up with the existing holes in the 9500pro, and mount the heatsink diagonally, but I'm afraid the sink will overlap the surrounding ram, or get inthe way of a capacitor, which would be game over for me.

I'd recommend getting an 80mm fan if possible. It would be quieter, provide more airflow, and you wouldn't need an adaptor; just mount it diagonally.

Btw, is there any reason you couldn't mount the heatsink horizontally?

I can't mount horizontally b/c the holes that ATi puts in the card are diagonal

Also, the SK-6+ can't take a 80mm fan stock AFAIK, so that's not an option, and i'll be pressed for space as is. Heck, I might just put a 60mm stealth fan on this thing, as it'll be overkill in any case.

I'm not sure you'll need THAT much cooling ;)

I'm running 385mhz core with my 9500np softmodded; I'm using a simple Socket7 HS/F combo and a pair of screws to hold it down. Nothing fancy...

I'm going to attempt a few volt mods this coming week to bring up my ram speeds, and perhaps I'll try getting a few more mhz out of the core. But honestly, it already pulls 5400+ in 3DM03 on my paltry rig, so I'm not complaining.

Why not use a copper 1u cooler? About the same price when everything is said and done, and less weight on the card.

k1114 said:
Why not use a copper 1u cooler? About the same price when everything is said and done, and less weight on the card.

An sk6+ can be had for 9 dollars, can take a larger fan, and can easily out perform a 1U cooler. I figure why spend more and get less? Besides, What's the fun in doing something easy?

^

The fun is not taking up 2+ extra pci slots, and not worrying about moving the case with that much weight on your card. A good 1u cooler will easily take you to the limits of the default voltage for a 9500/9700. For me it just seems more practical!

Anyway, good luck! I'm doing a second 1u cooler tomorrow (my first one didn't drill quite right, so I gave up on it) and i'm already nervous! Seems crazy to mod a card that expensive.

It's a pretty cheap card, all things considered. I'm just looking for a little project to keep me busy over the summer.

Also, if you're looking for "practical," you're on the wrong forums. Perhaps this website would be more helpful for you.

I'll definitly be volt modding the card, so I'll need something that can handle the extra power. But, for stock voltage, 1u coolers are awesome for video cards! My Elsa Gladiac Geforce2 Ultra still has a Alpha PAL15u on it, and that thing overclocked like a beast! However, for 35 dollars per 15u, I'd rather go with the better performing and cheaper HSF. Good luck to you too!

Also, the SK-6+ can't take a 80mm fan stock AFAIK, so that's not an option
It can. I may be able to post pics later if you'd like. Its very simple, just place the fan diagonally and use the 60mm clips that came with it. You will need a fan grill, though. An 80mm would be well worth it.

Yeah, I use an 80mm with the stock clips on my SK-6+. Works like a champ.

Try SVC - I think they sell the 70mm TMD adapters - I want to get one of those for my SK-6+.

The shim itself isn't vital, the only problem is the possibility of crushing your video core ala an AMD processor. You need to make sure your choice of heatsink is attached firmly AND the pressure is distributed evenly over the core. If you get too crazy with it (ie unbalanced pressure or too much pressure) you can crack the core.

And that nets you a fully functional doorstop. :)

Back