• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sick of slow Dial Up??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lazerin

Well, scientists at Caltech have found a way to increase the speed of dial up to 8609Mbps, 153,000 times faster than a 56Kbps modem and close to 6000 times faster than a standard ADSL.

No extra hardware is needed, its all done by something called Fast TCP.

Read more here

Pretty sweet, I can say I am definetly looking foward to increases in internet speed.

However this may be better appreciated in the Internet section, but I don't know.

i like the sound of this part:
SCIENTISTS at the California Institute of Technology have unveiled an internet system they claim is fast enough to download a full-length DVD movie in less than five seconds.

now we just gotta make it so the computer can send that much data that fast... :D it is just odd to think about the fact that broadband as we know it today will feel like dialup does someday...

mbentley said:
i like the sound of this part:
now we just gotta make it so the computer can send that much data that fast... :D it is just odd to think about the fact that broadband as we know it today will feel like dialup does someday...

I already think cable/dsl is slow....
been stuck with this SLOW speed now for 5 years, its awfull....
Me want NOW!!!!

Only things is we probly wont be seing this hit the consumer market for another 3+ years... if ever :(

jAY said:
Only things is we probly wont be seing this hit the consumer market for another 3+ years... if ever :(

Gee thanks for dashing my hopes since I am on dial-up.

Not to mention that the government limits dialup to 56K. Gotta change the law before this will do any good. Even if all they have done is make it super efficient, the bureaucrats won't understand.

thats not quite what the article says. It does however say that it was able to transfer "an average rate of 925Mbps compared with 266Mbps on the same routes using ordinary TCP". Now can 56k modems transfer 266mbps? No not quite there yet. But if we look at the numbers 925/266=~3.5 then we can take 56*3.5=196, so with this technology we can hope for 196kbps on a regular line, in the same configuration as a 56kb modem would be setup, that is if your isp will give it to you that fast. It sure would be nice if it does happen.

hope this clears up some things.

The future is wireless.

The advantage of having such a technology around is dialup is great for competition, which keeps prices down. AFAIK You can't just go out and form a DSL or Cable internet company...

The only bad thing, you'll still have to wait for a connection.

Back