• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need your opinion on this...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kram4sites

THis hard drive is only $99 is it any good?

SAMSUNG SpinPoint 120GB 7200RPM Model# SP-1203N - OEM, DRIVE ONLY
Specifications:
Size: 120 Gigabytes
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA133
Seek time: 8.9ms
RPM:7200
Buffer Size: 2 Mbytes
Noise Guard
OEM(Drive alone) 1 Yr Warranty Model#: SP-1203N

If you have the patience to wait out a rebate, go with a current sale at Circuit City: Selling a WD1200JB (120GB, 8MB cache, 3 year warranty) for $90 after rebates.

after i got screwed on a voodoo2 years ago (never got my $50 rebate. for that price, i could have bought a much better card), ive never trusted mail in rebates. personally, id get the $99 one. that looks like an ok deal. an 8mb cache maxtor from newegg is 113.

Dude! I got screwed on the voodoo2 rebate also! That's why i dont do rebates anymore. My brother works for office max and he is always like "we have this hard drive thats $100 after 40 bucks worth of rebates" so i just tell him that since i wont get the rebate back, i will just go to newegg and get the hard drive for 106 bucks. I know most rebates do work but I just dont trust them now because of that.

<thread hijak>

i paid like 130 or something for a 12meg voodoo2 from best buy (didnt read the fine print, that it was 80 after mail in rebate). so i got my card, sent in the rebate, and never got anything from it. i was so mad. 130 would have bought me a nice 2d/3d card, hehe, back in the day when you had to run a pass through cable. man, that card was sweet at the time though. that with my 350mhz dell, 8gig hdd, and 64MB of ram was really rockin :D. ahh, the good old days.

</thread hijak>

note: a 120 gig WD SE is 110 at newegg right now, with free shipping. you might not be interested, but i just thought i would point it out. not a bad deal. WD seems to have the whole IDE hard drive thing going pretty well right now. the special edition drives seems to be the way to go. if you could spare the extra $11, id recommend that (if i was in your place, that would be my move). i just say that cause i havent had any experience with a samsung drive. good luck. let us know what you decide.

Considering Newegg is selling Western Digital 8meg cache drives for $11 more, I don't really think it's that much of a good deal. The WD's with the 8 meg cache also come with a 3 year warranty.

best buy has that deal with a maxtor 120gb hd with 8mb cache, for $79 after rebates although I am 3/5 when i comes from rebate success from best buy.... so buyer beware.

samsung's monitors may be good .... but their hard drives?!? they make everything ... but don't expect the product to be good:) go with the wd from newegg, it'll save you a lot of headaches later.

Rutkus said:
best buy has that deal with a maxtor 120gb hd with 8mb cache, for $79 after rebates although I am 3/5 when i comes from rebate success from best buy.... so buyer beware.

Be cautious of the Maxtor 8MB cache drives, they seem to be 1 year warranty now.

Back