• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having problems... 1700xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Damandre

Registered
CPU: 1700xp JIUHB 0312
MOBO: Epox 8RDA+
Mem: Buffalo 512 pc3200(one stick)
PS: Fortron 350 watts
HS: Alpha 8942
HSF: Smart Fan 2 @ full speed.

Whenever I try to overclock it more than a few MHZ it has this problem where it just shuts off by it self. Even took it up to 1.85v, 900 mhz to burn it in, after about 5 or 6 min into it, it shut off again. I know the mobo has this feature, but it has to be caused by something... Any ideas?

Hmmm...All of your hardware looks pretty much top notch. Make sure that your heatsink is mounted perfectly, and that your BIOS isn't set to auto shutdown at any temp.

900Mhz? I hope that's a typo - anyway see what temperatures you are getting without overclocking - my guess is an improperly seated HS.

could it possible be not enough power? i know if i set my volts to anythinh higher than 1.8 with my 350 it shuts down anouther possibility that i noticed if my ram timings wernt right with this pos 2100 stick it would shut down also and lastly the hs might not be seated right another one of my previous mistakes just a few things to try

I think that 1.85v for 900mhz would far more than suffice...he's doing a burn-in, btw, the procedure of clocking your processor very low and increasing the voltages for high voltage, low temperature operation.

BTW, the hetsink does not fit the mobo so I had to drill it, so I put 4 extra holes, I'm sure that won't be the reason, but I used old thermal paste and my mobo is reading 49 c at idle and about 56 at load.

You can't trust motherboard readingss for s#@!... It may or may not be your heatsink. The processor certainly shouldn't be having that much trouble. Your mobo may be defective, but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions until investigating further.

Gautam said:
You can't trust motherboard readingss for s#@!... It may or may not be your heatsink. The processor certainly shouldn't be having that much trouble. Your mobo may be defective, but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions until investigating further.

I did get the FF code a couple of times, no biggie, wait for a couple of minutes with the psu off. Never installed or removed anything except the cmos reset with it on(psu).

It works fine at stock clock speeds.

BTW, where can I put my temperature sensor for my fan controller/lcd display? Right now it's sitting on a tiny piece of foam between cpu and hs, on the hs side. Mobo reads 50, lcd says 20.

a tiny piece of foam between cpu and hs, on the hs side
This could be a problem. Don't worry too much about temps, though. In this case, however, I think that your temps are way above 50. Remove the probe altogether.
It works fine at stock clock speeds.
So you can run at stock, but not at 900mhz?

sorry bout my last post i did not see that he was burning in the proc as for the temps im not sure i know the nf7-s shows incorect temps with original bios could this be the case with the epox board if so flash the bios the tems should drop

Gautam said:

This could be a problem. Don't worry too much about temps, though. In this case, however, I think that your temps are way above 50. Remove the probe altogether.

So you can run at stock, but not at 900mhz?

The temps are proably fine, the heat sink does not feel any hotter than my hand.

Yeah, it's really odd. I ran it @1ghz 1.8 volt, it was fine, 900mhz 1.85 and it shut down after a couple of minutes in Prime.

Back