• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help - new build, black screens

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BH

Registered
Hi all, I’m looking for help to solve my issue as soon as possible since the amazon return eligibility date on my gpu is soon.

I assembled my pc last week and I’ll start with admitting I started overclocking the cpu very soon after the install. I’ll post details on the endeavor after the issue.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 1700 @3ghz
Asus prime x370 pro
Gygabyte gtx 1060 3gb GV-N1060WF2OC-3GD
Gskill flarex 2x8 2400 Mhz
WD black 256 pcie nvme ssd
Corsair cx550m 550w

Right now the pc is on its default clock, after a bios reset. The issue is that at random times during general use, no load, the pc will hang. Screen turns black followed by a “no signal”. Mobo and wraith spire leds are on and fans continue to spin at the last speed they were (they don’t go to max). While it’s like this holding the power button for 5 seconds doesn’t do anything. The only thing I can do is switch off and on the psu, after which it would boot normally. Then the pc would work normally until the next crash. There is nothing in the event log except for kernel power errors but those are at the times I turn the pc on. I tried waiting a few minutes after a black screen yesterday just to see if there is anything logged at that exact time and there was nothing.

Another issue arose this morning after I saw a suggestion that it might be the vid cable so I switched the hdmi-hdmi cable with a dvi-d (GPU) to hdmi (monitor) which I had on hand. Now the pc would boot again BUT there was no bios splash screen and spamming del makes the pc reboot it seems (monitor going from no signal to black). But if I wait it would show directly at the windows logon loading screen. With hdmi-hdmi I can see the asus logos and access the bios. Also to add – while switching those cables there were tiny sparks where the hdmi cable touches the monitor near its port (while I was trying to insert).

About the overclocking. Last week and during the weekend I was trying to see what the maximum achievable cpu frequency was for under 1.3v core voltage. It went to 3.95ghz, so I did short tests and managed to lower it to 3.6ghz at 1.2v. During the benchmarks and stress tests I was watching voltages and temps. Voltages never went above 1.38-1.39 and even those were only in the first tests and I lowered them immediately. Temps averaged at 80c-90c, once went as high as 95c before I shut it down and once went to 100c. Probably less than 10 minutes combined for both of those. The nvidia I overclocked solely on guides with MSI afterburner. Applied the maximum power limit of 116% and added 50, 75, 100, 125, 150 mhz to core clock and 100, 150, 250, 350, 450 mhz to memory clock respectively. All tested on heaven and valley for benchmarking scores. The last one had a short freeze on the Heaven test but it finished as well. I then lowered the core clock of the gpu to +100mhz and the memory to +300mhz. I thought this procedure for cpu and gpu OC was very conservative. After one black screen on sunday and one on monday I decided to reset everything to default hoping that it wasjust a case of unstable OC, but same thing happens still, hence the post. I'm worried that either I've damaged a hw part (mobo, gpu) or something was delivered damaged and I failed to spot it.

Wondering if anyone has any insight into this? Maybe someone has had a similar issue? I browsed searching for something similar but didn’t see anything exactly like this, the bios issue while using hdmi-dvi throws me off. Finally, SORRY for the wall of text, I’m trying to input as much as possible.

Last edited:
I had a hard time following all the steps you took but my first question is have you ran the PC at stock (CPU,GPU and mem) for any length of time?
That odd behaviour you see where you can't access BIOS is more of a Windows thing than platform IMO. I get it too. If you use Alt+F4 it'll open a shut down options window. If you use this interface it actually cancels all processes in Windows when it restarts and you'll see the BIOS screen again. I have had this since one of the major Windows updates.
Next is your stress t3esting methodolgy needs a bit of work. For Ryzen I feel it needs a bit more/different testing just because of the CPU and how it's structured. What I do for final testing is P95 (ver29.3) on custom with ~ 75%(12000MB) of ram in use then start unigine heaven and let it run in the background. If you pass a couple hours like this you'll be fine.

Thank you for replying. First I ran at stock for about one afternoon (foolish). The thing where I can't access bios and it keeps restarting while pressing del was only when it was connected dvi (gpu) to hdmi(monitor). When it's hdmi-hdmi I can see and access bios. Btw the bios is 3401 from december 2017, the mobo came with it, thought it's new enough to not update it.

My stress testing and whole OC was hasty but since I was aiming at 60-ish% of max I thought I was ok. What bothers me is that now I've reset bios to default, cpu ratio is auto, voltages auto, llc auto. The black screens still persist, once every few hours, or once-twice a night the last 3 days.

Edit: I should also add that before those black screens happen I can stress test, use it for low load, use it for gaming and it doesn't exhibit any voltage drops/spikes, temps below 60 while gaming, 90 on realbench, 40 idle.

Last edited:
Hi all, I’m looking for help to solve my issue as soon as possible since the amazon return eligibility date on my gpu is soon.

I assembled my pc last week and I’ll start with admitting I started overclocking the cpu very soon after the install. I’ll post details on the endeavor after the issue.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 1700 @3ghz
Asus prime x370 pro
Gygabyte gtx 1060 3gb GV-N1060WF2OC-3GD
Gskill flarex 2x8 2400 Mhz
WD black 256 pcie nvme ssd
Corsair cx550m 550w

The issue is that at random times during general use, no load, the pc will hang. Screen turns black followed by a “no signal”. Mobo and wraith spire leds are on and fans continue to spin at the last speed they were (they don’t go to max). While it’s like this holding the power button for 5 seconds doesn’t do anything. The only thing I can do is switch off the psu, after which it would boot normally. That until the next crash. There is nothing in the event log except for kernel power errors but those are at the times I turn the pc on. I tried waiting a few minutes after the black screen yesterday just to see if there is anything logged at that exact time and there was nothing. Another issue arose after I saw a suggestion that it might be the vid cable so I switched the hdmi-hdmi cable with a dvi-d (GPU) to hdmi (monitor) which I had on hand. Now the pc would boot again BUT there was no bios splash screen and spamming del makes the pc reboot it seems (monitor going from no signal to black). But if I wait it would show directly at the windows logon loading screen. With hdmi-hdmi I can see the asus logos and access the bios. Also to add – while switching those cables there were tiny sparks where the hdmi cable touches the monitor near its port (while I was trying to insert).

About the overclocking: I did OC on the cpu and gpu, didn’t touch the default RAM settings. Tried several general guesses at frequencies with low voltages using different modes. The highest frequency used was @ 3.9ghz at 1.3v. And during the benchmarks I was watching the voltages never spiked above 1.8-9. The only issue I saw while OC. Mostly the temps were high-ish from 80-90 during stress but on one of the bench stresses it kept climbing and after hitting the 3 digit mark I manually stopped it. Generally during gaming the highest temps were less than 55 (61 during a brief witcher 3 run). Overall all stress tests lasted with maybe 1-3 crashes from undervolting. It handled tests well at 3.9, 3.8, 3.7. Left it at 3.6 @ 1.2v. I should add that the longest I left prime95 run was for 1:30h on the blend. Other tests used were realbench/IBT/Valley/Heaven. The gpu OC was very little compared to what generally other people do, and I was trying to be very conservative about all of it and aim for well below the max. I think both of the crashes during benching were similar but I wasn’t paying too much attention at the symptoms as it’s supposed to be normal for an unstable oc to crash. The last thing I did after those random black screens was to revert everything to default and my system would boot as usual, cpu at 3ghz, boosts to 3.2, underclocks to 1.4-1.5-2.5ghz on idle, voltages range between 0.XX to 1-1.1 during stress. But the issue persists. Last night I left it intentionally to run with autoplay on youtube (couple of hours into the night long videos were still playing), in the morning it had somehow entered sleep and after waking exactly 5 seconds passed and it blackscreened.

What I plan to try after coming from work in 2hrs:

-barebone everything unnecessary – case, case fans, front panel stuff (that's about it)
-testing with 1 stick of ram in one of the slots from the 2nd dual channel, if it happens again then the one I’ve taken out should be working. In that case insert it and take the one tested – out. Memtest both. If it happens then both sticks should be ok, right?
-plugging an old-ish gpu I have on another pc, use its square monitor as well since it’s vga-vga only.
-using the psu from that same pc

Wondering if anyone has any insight into this? Maybe someone has had a similar issue? I browsed searching for something similar but didn’t see anything exactly like this, the bios issue while using hdmi-dvi throws me off. Finally, SORRY for the wall of text, I’m trying to input as much as possible.

Something's wrong there. Those are killer voltages. BH, your narrative is difficult to follow. Lot's of run on sentences. Please slow down and separate your ideas in your writing. Using bullets or a numbered outline might help.

Something's wrong there. Those are killer voltages. BH, your narrative is difficult to follow. Lot's of run on sentences. Please slow down and separate your ideas in your writing. Using bullets or a numbered outline might help.

Sorry, edited "1.38-1.39". I was aiming for 1.3 absolute maximum from variations which would correspond to a manual 1.25v. While testing a 1.25 manual would yield short spikes of 1.26-1.27 and during load it would drop to 1.19-1.2v. I saw the recommended AMD max was 1.35, and a lot of users do a 1.35-1.4v. I might have some of those numbers wrong though because it was a few days ago, point is it never went above 1.4,and if it approached I'd stop and lower it. I'll edit first post for clarity

Last edited:
I would suggest reorganizing the first post into three sections:

1. An outline of your system components
2. A description of the problem
3. What steps you have taken in troubleshooting

I would suggest reorganizing the first post into three sections:

1. An outline of your system components
2. A description of the problem
3. What steps you have taken in troubleshooting

reorganized, sorry, this is all because I'm at work and quickly switching tabs constantly. 1 and 2 as you said, 3 is a brief explanation of what I've done in regards to oc if it helps. No troubleshooting yet, that starts in about 30 mins when I get back home, looking for tips where and what to do.

What do you mean by "spamming del"?

Are you using the stock Wraith Spire cooler to cool the CPU?

What bios version are you using?

Last edited:
Back from work

To answer the above. The chipset drivers came from asus website, I will install the ones from amd as you recommend. The gpu drivers came from geforce website with their usual search engine chose the latest release.

The OS is new installed on this new SSD, it's not transferred.

By spamming del I mean spamming the key delete, to enter bios. Since there was no splash screen with the asus logo and the prompt to press Del or F2 I was spamming it, but the pc just kept rebooting, no bios. I am using the stock wraith spire rgb 95W cooler. Bios version 3401 from 08.12.2017. Decided initially not to update it since it doesn't seem that old, when the black screens started happening I thought against it again on the off chance it happens while it updates.

Last edited:
Yes, when I came home I took the battery, pressed the power for 30s without psu on. I also put in an old radeon 5450, took one ram stick and moved the other to an unused so far slot for memtest to rule gpu and memory since those are a bit more immediate in the return policies. But the drivers reinstalls seem less time so I've put the 1060 back and going to safemode remove with DDU, already updated chipset to latest version through amds website as Johan suggested.

Edit: did the chipset update and nvidia remove with ddu + reinstall. Will do normal work until/if it hangs. I don't know if it's normal but during 4 restarts sometimes the asus logo screens show, sometimes the screen flickers between "no signal" and black before directly arriving at windows.

Last edited:
Are you back at optimized defaults now in your bios settings?

Yes, that was the whole point of this. After the first two times this happened I reverted everything to default on monday (all settings went to auto in bios) and it continued happening. Cpu at 3.0 GHz, boosts to 3.2 on load, underclocks to 1.4¬GHz idle, gpu also on defaults. Right now I did what Johan45 suggested aaand wait. If there was any way to force it... but benchmarks and stress tests pass with "success"-es or "no errors" and all that just to get a crash 2 hours while reading in chrome.

That's what makes me think it could be software related
That skipping the splash screen is Windows, at least it is for me. Win10 holds your last settings for a lot of things and doesn't really "shut down" it was driving me a bit batty for a wile then I figured out that it wad going to BIOS but I couldn't see anything. If I did a CTRL+AAlt+Del it would restart. I could even blindly reset to defaults using F5 then F10. After a bit of digging I now use Alt+F4 to shut down or restart and I can get to BIOS everytime without fail

That's what makes me think it could be software related
That skipping the splash screen is Windows, at least it is for me. Win10 holds your last settings for a lot of things and doesn't really "shut down" it was driving me a bit batty for a wile then I figured out that it wad going to BIOS but I couldn't see anything. If I did a CTRL+AAlt+Del it would restart. I could even blindly reset to defaults using F5 then F10. After a bit of digging I now use Alt+F4 to shut down or restart and I can get to BIOS everytime without fail

Thank you for that info, that actually reminds me of some things I read a while ago it seems on the same issue. About the difference in W10 and how differently it handles shut down and restart. In particular on my laptop I would always use shutdown and it would load within half a minute on the next boot. But when I click restart by accident I'd have to wait for 20-25 minutes on the loading screen with the spinning dots.

Edit: tried a few restarts and a few shutdowns-boots. No asus bios splash screen, no asus windows login screen, just the regular windows user logon screen for half a second then the desktop. Tried pressing delete a few times, it would either change from "no signal" to black several times or just stay black, with monitor led indicator blinking. Tried one with alt+f4, and one with alt+f4 then pull psu plug in and out. Still it seems I've lost my bios priviliges for the time being.

Last edited:
Do the Alt+F4 in windows. It brings up a shutdown GUI that will actually shut down or restart properly. Just click the mouse on the desktop then hold Alt and hit F4

Do the Alt+F4 in windows. It brings up a shutdown GUI that will actually shut down or restart properly. Just click the mouse on the desktop then hold Alt and hit F4

Yeah thats what I did, I know the function, from you I learned that it's different from the regular start menu button. Still same. If I just press the pc power button, the screen would go black, then it would display "no video signal", go black again, display "no signal" again, then briefly user logon and then desktop.

Last edited:
In the Boot menu you can try changing CSM from auto to enabled, might help, and there are different splash/post screen options

Back