• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have you ever oc-ed using an OS program successfully?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ummm... what?

do you mean, have i overclocked, and booted into an os? without it crashing?

then yes

or if you mean using a program like cpucool while running windows,linux etc. then yes i have and it works ok saves rebooting all the time.

I could be wrong but I think he means: Have you ever used a windows (or other) based program to overclock eg. EasyTune.

Deeman and SneakyD got it!!!*Got to be a little more clear on that*...........For example, do you use an oc program such as "cpufsb" to overclock, and have you done it successfully?.............That's all that this post means....Almost kind of a poll question.......I'm just asking to see if the oc programs can be trusted(not go bad and just fry your comp due to one bad fsb setting);do they operate under or near the same terms as if you were to do it in bios?

Well.........Can anyone recommend a good oc program that can be run in the OS? I heard from someone that CPUFSB isn't very safe, and could totally screw u up.

i have overclocked my video card, using a GUI, and not saving to the bios , but i havent done it for my mobo fsb/multiplier, imo dont use the software for a big thing liek this, i just dont trust it

but im looking at your sig, and it shows its an IBM, which probably cant be overclocked... (if it cnat be overclocked int he bios, it most likely cant be overclocked with software)

so i know this isnt asnwering your question, but the only thing you can overclock on that is your vid card (i think, i might be wrong, i am alot lol :p )

sorry i dont know any GUI, ocing programs

You can overclock some comps with software that you cant do in Bios for definite. I havent done it but I found a post on another forum about a guy who did his Dell that way. The thing is you have to know your chipset make and model. I will try and find the link now and put it up.

I dont trust them myself, I would rather do it through the BIOS. I know my bro tried it with his MSI board way back when and ended up frying it.

Thanks Bigdogbmx..........you go and do that.And also everyone else.As for J2T,did he use any sensor programs, and did he have proper cooling?Because if I find that the risks are acceptaible, I'll do it.I'll monitor it with "Shutdown Now!" and "Mbm", or if It starts to go over (name a degree near risky), then I'll manually shutdown if I have to.......Take out cord, or flip power switch.I hope the Dell was successfull.I mean, I only want to oc it 50-200mghz more..................hehe

Ok it turns out it was a post on computing.net forums and its gone. He was saying how his Dell would only overclock in software but you had to know your chipset make and model. He was using cpufsb and I think CPUsoft but I cant find CPUsoft anywhere. I dont see why CPUFSB shoulld mess your system any more than using BIOS if it does essenially the same thing. Just check the chipset model and do it a little at a time. If you want. :)

Right now I am OC'ing my Pally just a bit with CPUCOOL. It is running 1540 (1460 stock) at the moment with a just a bit of fiddling with CPUcool. I know its not a huge OC, but its a start, and with my MB, not bad for the moment

you need to know the PLL chip, not the main chipset. i used it on my ECS K7S5A, and it worked fine. i used the thing in speed fan, and another prog just for the ECS. and somethin else, not sure tho. think it was soft FSB... not sure tho

but im looking at your sig, and it shows its an IBM, which probably cant be overclocked... (if it cnat be overclocked int he bios, it most likely cant be overclocked with software)

Well, I have also used CPUFSB, and look at my sig .... IBM Aptiva also, So I would say, if you can figure out what PLL does your aptiva use, then soft overclocking will be feasible. Two things to be warned about :

1. Yes, if you try to go too high or use the wrong PLL code you can break your hw...
2. Be careful about cooling, and test very well your overclock for stability

Best regards
FTC

How can I find out my chipset PLL? Using RivaTuner and going to subsystem Diagnostic Report, I found out that the northbridge info contains something about i440bx/zx....Where can I find out my chipset DLL?Please help!

Back