• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mechanical Keyboards Recommend? Maxkeyboard issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I currently own a Maxkeyboard mech keyboard, model Nighthawk-X8. Bought new around 2008-2010. Believe it has Cherry MX Brown switches.

This was a time before mechanical keyboards were as common as they are now.

I like the keyboard over all- solid build! great blue light, not too dark or bright, braided cable, USB port, etc

They were never ever able to fix an annoying damn problem of random keys all of sudden firing at a rapid repeating rate when typing in any program.

I checked Amazon and even as “recent” as 2015 there are identical complaints.

So I’m thinking of getting a new mech keyboard. All the majors brands carry them now.

What are people using, are they solidly built?

The Nighthawk is heavy, and I like that it’s solid, not some flimsy plastic board.

Thanks!

I enjoy my Asus ROG Strox Scope. Well built, but asus pricey.
Thanks I checked out their site. Well they seem not to be made anymore or not in stock, not sure which.

What Cherry switch type do you have?

I have the Brown switches, and Asus doesn’t mention what type of switch the board uses, at least I didn’t see that info. Nice board.

Yeah everything with ASUS is pricey.

Man everyone has them now for sale. Back when I bought my board they weren’t so common. I’ve always loved the feel of the old IBM keyboards.

Last edited:
Cherry MX is a brand (THE?) of mechanical switches. RGB means they have RGB LED in them. You can pick the key type, it shows them on the asus webpage. :)

Cherry MX is a brand (THE?) of mechanical switches. RGB means they have RGB LED in them.

Yep I know. I researched this years ago for my Maxkeyboard

However the company makes several types of switches, Brown, Red, Silver etc. I couldn’t tell what ASUS uses.

Ah RGB is for multicolor LED effect thanks

I edited in info, but ya posted and probably missed it...

You can choose the type of key on the board, it's on the weboage. :)

I edited in info, but ya posted and probably missed it...

You can choose the type of key on the board, it's on the weboage. :)
Thanks! I was looking at the site and didn’t realize that.

They seem to be out of this model or discontinued.

HyperX keyboards are great. I used to get them for reviews, and all in the past five years were good. From the last models, I only took the 60% with red switches (I like blue more, but they just sent it like that). I just love these small keyboards, and I needed something small for the test rig.

HyperX keyboards are great. I used to get them for reviews, and all in the past five years were good. From the last models, I only took the 60% with red switches (I like blue more, but they just sent it like that). I just love these small keyboards, and I needed something small for the test rig.

Thanks- there seems to be a shortage on the Cherry MX switches, especially Brown and some others. Might have to go with Corsair. Was hoping for the ASUS model in Brown switches but they seem to be out or that board is discontinued. Really strange to see lack of availability in Cherry MX switches currently.

What's your budget on a keyboard, and do you need anything fancy like programmable macro buttons? USB passthrough? Etc.

What's your budget on a keyboard, and do you need anything fancy like programmable macro buttons? USB passthrough? Etc.
I don’t need fancy, but I’ll get a keyboard if it has other features I’m looking for.

I need a full sized keyboard not the ten keyless.
RGB would be sweet, my current one is blue LED. MX Cherry Brown switches. Braided cord over rubber covering. Solid build, laser etched keys over non laser etched, NK roll over.

100-200$ I think my Maxkeyboard cost 130$

I'd suggest looking at Code keyboards. Very high quality, no frills. I've used mine at work for over 6 years without issue.

I’ll check them out now thanks, new to me

Other than the nagging key repeat issue, my maxkeyboard has been the same since day one like 13 yrs or so. Has a nice metal plate inside the keyboard - solid build quality

Also, my keyboard at home is a seriously old G710+ and has done very well. I put o-rings in all my keyboards to cushion the bottoming of the keys, which is obviously much more of an issue in gaming than typing.

I really like my aging Corsair K70 Vengance with MX Brown keys. I really like that it has a volume scroll up/down and that I can adjust the RGB brightness to off/low/med/high. I also like that I can customize the color under each key as desired. Default the WSAD and arrow keys are white with the rest being red. Makes gaming in the dark easier.

I really like my Corsair K95 keyboard. Has a USB passthrough so you can plug the mouse into the keyboard (1 less cable to run to the PC)...Cherry MX...have had it for 5 years...currently $200 on Amazon:

Amazon Link

Any noticeable input lag that way? I wonder what the difference is. Likely only enough for comp/pros to notice/want, but for us joe's.... nothing.

Any noticeable input lag that way? I wonder what the difference is. Likely only enough for comp/pros to notice/want, but for us joe's.... nothing.
I notice none on my G710+ passthrough at home. It uses two USB connectors to the keyboard, one for the keyboard, and one for the port on the back.

Back