• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Keyboard Recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well...I had an accident the other day. I spilled an adult beverage on my keyboard. It works but some of the keys stick - even if they rebound, they'll repeat 2-3 characters. And every other sentence is about how the Jets are the best team in the NFL. Thing is obviously hammered and has to go.

It's a V2B Code off of Massdrop with MX Clears. I actually really like it, it's got a metal backplate which combined with the Clears give it a really solid, heavy feel. I was at MC and tried the keyboards they had on display and even the $150-$200 boards felt flimsy.

As MD is kinda iffy and I don't know when the Codes are going to drop again, was wondering what everyone else recommends. I'm looking for something mechanical, tactile, non-clicky, and higher actuation force - Clears or equivalent. Full sized with numpad and backlit are a must - backlighting can be single color or customizable, I'm indifferent. Built in usb hub is a plus, but not a deal breaker. It's gotta like long walks on the beach and Adam Sandler movi...wait what?

The big thing is I'm looking for something prebuilt and reasonable. I did some looking on and off, I don't want to spend $400+ on a backplane, case, keys, and keycaps, then spend half a weekend building the thing. Will I do that eventually? Maybe, but I've got enough pricey hobbies already.

I have a KB Paradise with Backlit MX Cherry Clears that has held up to years and years of daily use. I got it off (Mass)Drop as well.

The Clear switches are kinda tough to find, but they are far and away the best I've used. I have also had probably 4 KB Paradise keyboards, and though this is the only one I have used for thousands of hours, they all feel of a similar quality. I think they are worth giving a try.

The ONLY thing keeping me from upgrading to an Ergodox is they offer Clear switches in non-backlit, but not in backlit. I just feel like if I'm going to spend $3-400 on a keyboard, it has to have EVERYTHING.

I have been using a Das Keyboard 4 Professional since 2014, it has treated me very well. I bought it with cherry blues, used that for about 5 years, then started modding it. I added foam under the PCB and between the plate and PCB, mill-max sockets for all of the switches, and replaced everything with lubed cherry browns. I'm still happy with it, and build quality has been solid.

In fact, I have been needing to use the computer at my bench/desk for work more often now than in the last 5 years, and just bought another 4 Pro off ebay, for $20, with a bad spacebar (coffee spill), and I just finished doing the same modifications to it. I will be using it my workplace keyboard long term.

I have a KB Paradise with Backlit MX Cherry Clears that has held up to years and years of daily use. I got it off (Mass)Drop as well.

The Clear switches are kinda tough to find, but they are far and away the best I've used. I have also had probably 4 KB Paradise keyboards, and though this is the only one I have used for thousands of hours, they all feel of a similar quality. I think they are worth giving a try.

The ONLY thing keeping me from upgrading to an Ergodox is they offer Clear switches in non-backlit, but not in backlit. I just feel like if I'm going to spend $3-400 on a keyboard, it has to have EVERYTHING.
Thanks, will take a look around. Yeah, felt the same way about the Code, with just some mild cleaning - rubbing alcohol on the keys, compressed air between the keycaps - it's held up 4+ years like it's new.

And I'm surprised the clears aren't more popular.

I have been using a Das Keyboard 4 Professional since 2014, it has treated me very well. I bought it with cherry blues, used that for about 5 years, then started modding it. I added foam under the PCB and between the plate and PCB, mill-max sockets for all of the switches, and replaced everything with lubed cherry browns. I'm still happy with it, and build quality has been solid.

In fact, I have been needing to use the computer at my bench/desk for work more often now than in the last 5 years, and just bought another 4 Pro off ebay, for $20, with a bad spacebar (coffee spill), and I just finished doing the same modifications to it. I will be using it my workplace keyboard long term.

I'm actually using an older Das with Browns now, lol. Was my first adventure into mechanicals, and it's been my go-to spare after upgrading. Surprisingly well built, only downsides (for me) being the lack of backlighting and even Browns feel kinda loose these days.

Edit: actually didn't even occur to me to check if it was modifiable. Hrrmm. May have to see if it's worth grabbing a pack of Clears and spending that chunk of a weekend working on the thing.

Last edited:
Have you checked out the Das Keyboard 6 Pro? It is a white backlit and with usb c hub, but basically thr same as the 4 Pro, even has a volume knob.

I would get thr 6 myself, but I don't use enough usb c devices to justify it

No, I'll admit I haven't. Been lurking on MD and tracking what the bigger names (Corsair, Logitech, etc.) Have been putting out. That's why I decided to ask around.

But I'll have to check it out.

i have one of these:

and i didnt pay any where near that price for it. its been ok. it had what i wanted for volume control and beingg a full sized keyboard that wasnt overly huge. how ever it has a debounce issue that i am not going to fix in this post to kind of give you an idea of what i mean. its not often but still something i wanted to point out. it might have something to do with the switches, of which are very loud, but they are hot swappable so if you beer it again you can replace switches if you decide you like it that much.

b stock ones are on sale right now for $30. i thhink i paid a little more than that at $45 because i am an elite member and got first dibs.

it's atleast a decent something

i have one of these:

and i didnt pay any where near that price for it. its been ok. it had what i wanted for volume control and beingg a full sized keyboard that wasnt overly huge. how ever it has a debounce issue that i am not going to fix in this post to kind of give you an idea of what i mean. its not often but still something i wanted to point out. it might have something to do with the switches, of which are very loud, but they are hot swappable so if you beer it again you can replace switches if you decide you like it that much.

b stock ones are on sale right now for $30. i thhink i paid a little more than that at $45 because i am an elite member and got first dibs.

it's atleast a decent something
Thanks, but the deal breaker for me would be the Kaith Bronze switches. I've played around with the MX equivalent at MC, and while I think they're decent compared to the standard reds/blues, they aren't for me. Still kind of a lighter feel that I'm not crazy about.

Swapping in stiffer keys would bring it to the $100 mark if not more (if I go with the B Stock). Then I have to actually swap them out. I'll think about it, but that's some effort going into a B Stock board.

Back