• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shock

Registered
i'm looking for a cheap laptop, just going 2 be connected to my wireless lan, play odd few games, i really like it 2 run windows xp

i have seen 2 cheap laptops, not sure what laptop to pick :(

on http://www.dabs.com
Compaq Evo N1015v AMD Athlon XP 1700+ 128MB 20GB XP Home
Quicklinx: 2B11WS = Type Quicklink code 2 get full spec
and
Fujitsu Siemens C1020s C1.5GHz 128MB 20GB 14"
Quicklinx: 2MYCWS = Type Quicklink code 2 get full spec

very close in spec main thing different is Graphics Processor

Compaq Evo N1015v
Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI RADEON - AGP 4x
Video Memory Shared Video Memory (UMA) - DDR SDRAM
Max Resolution (external) 1600 x 1200

Fujitsu Siemens C1020s
Graphics Processor / Vendor VIA ProSavageDDR P4N266 - AGP 8x
Video Memory Shared Video Memory (UMA) - DDR SDRAM
Max Resolution (external) 1600 x 1200 / 32-bit colour

what is best ?

The Evo Wins Hands down. The Evo uses an ATI chipset for graphics and as a northbridge, the VIA based solution is no where as good as the ATI. The ATI chipset does for the AMD in laptops as the NF2 does for desktops. However the fujitsu Lifebook series is worth a look.

Unless you play some serious games on your laptop, I dont think the graphics processor should come into question.

I would rather have an Athlon XP in my laptop rather than the Celeron thats in it right now. Processor wise I like the Compaq better. It also comes with a DVD drive rather than the plain CD that comes with the Fujitsu.

The extra battery life with the compaq is another plus.

The Compaq wins.

Dont forget. 128MB Memory with XP is going to chug on a laptop big time.

the D-Link PCMCIA 22M Wireless Adaptor will work ?

that laptop supports MultiPort modules they cost 2 much, so will the PCMCIA card work ok?

Back