• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waste of Money ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Takovr

Hello all,

I have a athlon xp 2400 over-clocked to 2800 speed(2.21) I was thinking about buying a athlon xp 2800 chip 333 mhz so I
can over-clock higher is this a wise choice ? I have a asus a7v333 motherboard. How High do you think I cold get the 2800 chip if I overclock ?

Thank you for any help...

Gene

I'd expect that you'd get the same out of the 2400+ and the 2800+. Your 2400+ is actually overclocked to higher than 3200+ speeds (2.2ghz). I'd spend the money towards a better motherboard. The 2800+ probably wouldn't give you much more.

New Motherboard ?

So you are saying keep the 2400 chip and get one of the new n-force motherboards with duel channel memory....

Gene

Gautam... You are comparing T-bred speed to Barton speed and that is wrong.

Takovr... Since you have a reasonably overclockable 2400+, I would keep it for the time being (with or without a new motherboard) and wait for the barton line to mature some more. The 2500+ are still very overclockable, but as new steppings appear, they are only likely to get better.

Yes, correct. My bad. Bartons are a little better per mhx. I'd say you're at a PR rating of around 2900+ or so. In reality, however, contrary to what AMD would have you believe, the additional cache doesn't do much at all.

I guess I will keep it

I guess I will keep my current set-up and wait for the new athlons to come out I read somewere they will be out around September and they will need a new type of motherboard...

Gene

Just get a 1700+. Why buy 2800+!?
My 1700+ does 2.4ghz at 1.825 volts. And 2.35 at 1.775v.
And they are less than 60 bucks. Why pay for something thats already near its top speed?

the new athlons you refer to aren't athlons, they're opteron, and yes, they require a new motherboard, asus has one ready, the sk8n w/ the nvidia nforce 3 chipset

Graphic67 said:

Takovr... Since you have a reasonably overclockable 2400+, I would keep it for the time being (with or without a new motherboard) and wait for the barton line to mature some more. The 2500+ are still very overclockable, but as new steppings appear, they are only likely to get better.

the extra cache does a lot, i gained 700 points in 3dmark 01 just by switching from a 2400+ to a 2500+

426_hemi said:

the extra cache does a lot, i gained 700 points in 3dmark 01 just by switching from a 2400+ to a 2500+

Really? That's very interesting. Could you give some more details(previous, etc.) and some sandra benchies if possible? I haven't seen any indication that the Barton does considerably better than the T-Bred, but I'd love to see some hard data.

barton

Can I put a barton cpu chip on a asus a7v333 I was told the a7v333 motherboard wont support the barton 3000 and 3200 chip..

426_hemi isn't pushing the 2500 chip to it's max....I have this hunch that the barton's L2 cache goes wacky or is far less effective when the chip is pushed to the wall in MHz.

Yes, I understand that theory does fly in the face of reason...AMD did chop the the speeds of the bartons when compaired to the Tbred-b 2600 - 2800 chips afterall.

Takovr said:
Hello all,

I have a athlon xp 2400 over-clocked to 2800 speed(2.21) I was thinking about buying a athlon xp 2800 chip 333 mhz so I
can over-clock higher is this a wise choice ? I have a asus a7v333 motherboard. How High do you think I cold get the 2800 chip if I overclock ?

Thank you for any help...

Gene

a 2800 barton wouldnt be that good of a choice for an A7V333 mobo...as it is limited by the 1/5 divider...and that the mobo doesnt recognise the 5 bit...so you couldnt raise your multi as the 2800+ is 12.5x by default, i got my 2500+ up to a 192FSB on an A7V333....after being dumb and pushing for 200FSB she went to the big junk pile in the sky. for the price of a 2800+ you can get an 8RDA and a 2500+ :D

AKULA said:
426_hemi isn't pushing the 2500 chip to it's max....I have this hunch that the barton's L2 cache goes wacky or is far less effective when the chip is pushed to the wall in MHz.

Yes, I understand that theory does fly in the face of reason...AMD did chop the the speeds of the bartons when compaired to the Tbred-b 2600 - 2800 chips afterall.

what do you mean the cache goes wacky ??? I really doubt it does....benchmarks have shown the 2500+ faster then the 2400+ even though the clockspeed is lower on the barton

the 1700+ are great overclockers and they give some very nice speeds for a low cost. The barton gets almost the same speeds and has the extra cache.

keep your 2400+...if you want to try for higher speeds get a barton 2500+ or a 1700+ "L". The 2800+ is a waste of money as its likely the same stepping as your current processor

I would tend to agree that the 2800 is a waste of money and will not take you much higher than the 2400 you have. If I were you I would look into the 1700 t'bred B, the 2500 Barton or the 2100 t'bred b. They are all pretty cheap right now, and they are by far the best overclockers on the market. If you decide to go with the 1700 you will want to make sure you are getting a DLT3C, since they are the lower voltage versions and they are overclocking the best at the moment. I spent $60 on my 1700 and I think that I may be able to get it to 2600Mhz. Tell me that isn't a good deal. ;)

If you do decide to get a Barton don't get a 2800 just get a 2500, they are the same but the 2800 just comes overclocked a little from the factory. Wish I knew that when I bought mine. :(

3dmark2001se

how good is a score of 16031 on 3dmark2001se? I can only find comparisions that use 3dmark03!What else could I do to get better scores!would overclocking the 5800 ultra help?Is it worth it? Thanks

Back