• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help, Hard Drive Not Detected!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AaronP

Need Help, HD / CDRW Not Detected!! (need help please)

Okay, I put together a new system:
amd xp1700
msi k7n2-l delta
80gb maxtor dm9 (no 8mb)
liteon 52x24x52 cdrw drive
antec slk3700amb (with 350 psu)

My problem is that I connected all the cables properly (hopefully), and I connected the IDE cable to the cd rom, to the hardrive, and the power cable from the cd-rom to the floppy. The floppy drive is detected, but my cd-rom or harddrive is not detected, what am I doing wrong? What are suggestions ? Is this a bios setting I have to do? The bios lets me auto detect the my hard drive, and my cd-rom can be auto detected, :\ what am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
My guess is that you don't have the jumpers set right. My suggestion is to divide and conquer. First get the system to ID the hardrive then go for the CDROM.

yup... sounds like jumpers... check on the back of the drives and make sure they are on the proper setting... it is usually better to make the HD the master and the cd the slave which means that you need to put the hd on the last connector and the cd rom on the middle... or you could use the cable select setting as well

srs said:
My guess is that you don't have the jumpers set right. My suggestion is to divide and conquer. First get the system to ID the hardrive then go for the CDROM.

How would I go about doing that? I have a few hunches, but I dont wanna scre anything up because of the amount of money I spent putting this system together. Im basically a newb at this ... :( help the noob out.

Okay what i've done, is i've made the CDRW drive a slave drive (moving that green piece of metal and plastic to the slave part)
And I made the hard drive Master (using the same method)

I wonder is it the way I installed the hardware using the IDE cables? It only came with 1, so I used it to connect the hard drive and the cd rom, and I dont know what the **** I should do with the jumpers because I havent touched them yet, I really need someone who can take me step by step through this.

Last edited:
I think you just install from the XP upgrade disk and then insert your old Windows CD when the install routine requests it. Avoid upgrade installs whenever possible.

okay, but when I insert the xp cd in the drive, it demands a boot disk, and I dont know which boot disk to use, im using the the ME one, but whhen i type "setup" it says "this cannot be used in MS-DOS"

i finally got what the problem is, sorry to bug everyone, it turns out i was being too delicate and thinking about how much I spent on it and that affected the amount of pressure I should've put on the cables to force them into their slots. :) Sorry to bug everyone, I made too many newb mistakes in the whole process, but as I say to myself, only way to learn something, is to learn it the hard way.

It's just part of the learning process. We've all been there. As was suggested earlier, if you can wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install, DO IT. Upgrades stink. They leave behind all kinds of baggage that usually end up causing problems down the road.

Back