• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NB cooling on a 1C7 with a Zalman 7000cu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hooah

any idea what i can get for a NB cooler that will fit because of my huge Zalman 7000cu. i want to try a better NB and see if i can get alittle more overclock :p

i'm 275FSB right now, my goal is 285-290, i figure for the like $10-$15cdn they are worth, i'll try it.

but what the hell will fit with the huge *** zalman?

If it fit's with my SLK-900U I can guarentee you that you will have enough clearence to get them both in.

I notice that you have the same mainboard, cpu, and ram setup as me and I was wondering the settings in your bios for the ram. I can't seem to get stable out of synch like many people. I'm especially interested in your GAT and the settings below it.

what NB cooling do you have?

my setting are memory 2-3-3-5 (or 6 can't remember), last 2 optinos of game accelerator disabled, auto (for the turbo, streetracer F1 one) cpu voltage at 1.7v, memory at 2.8v 275fsb with 5:4 ratio. if i missed anything you still wanna know, let me know and i'll look in my bios.

also the zalman is round and slightly overlaps the stock fan thats why i'm unsure which ones will fit it. i was thinking about the zalman NB cooler that has no fan, then i'll add a fan to it or thermalktake tiger

Last edited:
I'm using the new Abit northbridge cooler, it's slightly taller then the last one but provides a must quieter solution. I'm gonna give my bios the settings you used and see if I can get it stable at 5:4 though I think I'll use a lot less voltage ;)

ya i could be stable at 3.2 at 1.6 or 3.3 at 1.7, i took 3.3 :D

i'm still lookin for a nb that will fit, i want to try one and see if it helps at all. they are cheap enough so can't really loose anything by trying :p

Good stuff hooah, under your settings I'm running 5:4 ratio now at 275FSB still at 1.550 volts! Ran memtest and prime95 together for about 2 hours without and incident. I'll try pushing it higher too later tonight.

cool, let me know what you top out at. is your chip costa rica (starts with a 3) or malay (starts with an L)? (starts L313 = malay or 3313 = costa rica)

most peace get 3.2 - 3.4, but ****, your at stock voltage so thats pretty good. i wouldn't be afraid to up it to like 1.6 if your not comfortable with 1.7. 1.65 to 1.7 is considered the high end of it.

also just watch your temps, but the SLK900 should keep it cool. i'm 38c idle & 51c under full load with 2 things of prime (abit hardware doctor).

after you get it stable at whatever speed, tehn screw around with your memory to get tighter timings. with my ocz 3700 gold best i can get is 2-3-3-5 but like corsair 3200 xms should do 2-2-2-5. you may want to look in the forums for somebody with your memory to see what timings they are running.

Last edited:
just an update for anybody else reading this. i got a email back from zalman, none of the zalman NB coolers will fit with the Zalman 7000CU + ABIT 1C7. so if zalman doesn't have one who the hell does?

Zalman NB heatsink

Hey, so I read that u were considering an new NB cooling solution on your IC7. I have the same board, also with a Zalman 7000 and I just popped that Zalman NB heatsink, works great. I used Arctic Allumina Epoxy to get it on there as you know there aren't holes for side pegs. Anyhow, here's a picture of it, you have to have situated straight instead of at an angle. Temps went down 4-6 degrees with no fan, pretty nice for six bucks :)

zalmannb.jpg

Hi, i'm also intrested if anyone knows,for a better NB cooler.I have the stock one from abit is7.It isnt very noisy but i cant get over 280 FSB,and i think the cpu can give more,so....

Does any manufacturer make NB coolers that use the same installation method as abit's ? (with the 4 flexible metal thingies) ?

thansk for any help

Back