• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tell me this ain't wierd.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huneycutt

Here's a copy of a post from another forum that has me completely baffeled. Like to now if anyone has any ideas as to the why and wherefore of this mans problem.

"i run a AMD athlon 2400+ with windows 98se and after downloading and installing some dodgy softwear i had to reformat my harddrive all went fine until my pc began to slow down,when i looked in system it said i was running a 1800+ and when a friend told me about 3dmark and i check my system with them they told me i was running a duron?? could someone please help as this has got me confused.."

Correct me if I am wrong, but the OS has nothing to do with the CPU speed as that is strictly controlled by the BIOS. When I OC the only changes I make are in the BIOS and I change nothing in the OS or other software. And why would it show them having a Duron when they have an Athalon? Maybe 3dmark is reading his CPU wrong?

http://discuss.pcmag.com/n/main.asp?webtag=pcmag&topfolder=1[/url]
Scroll to the bottom and enter thread number 26298.1 in the search engine. My log on there is OldCoot.

If anyone has answers I'm certain they would appreciate it and I'm curious myself.
Thanks, OldBird

Well, he needs to see what the BIOS says. Also, in windows the device manager under Processors will tell him what Windows thinks it is. Even if I change my mult or fsb, BIOS and Windows always see my chip as a 1700+.

Did he install everything while his system was overclocked?

Yo Brunt. No, don't think it was overclocked ever. Plain old 2400 running at normal speed and when he reformatted it slowed down to an 1800. Sounds like a store bought so doubt he could change the settings in the BIOS to OC. And why in the Sam Hill would it show a Duron when it's an Athalon??

"Even if I change my mult or fsb, BIOS and Windows always see my chip as a 1700+."

Hmmm . . . . . I run ME and Device Mgr shows the CPU at whatever speed I have it OC'd or the normal speed. Athalon 2100 OC'd 2700 depending what speed I have it OC'd or not. If I set the fsb to 160 then Device Mgr shows Athalon 2500.

Wondering why your Device Mgr doesn't recognize the OC'ed speed and display it? What Windoze OS are you running anyway?

Please, ya'll don't hammer me for using ME. As long as I install it and leave it bare nekid and do not do any M$ updates it runs smooth as silk.

the CPU shows up as a XP1800+ because his FSB for some reason dropped to 100 from 133.
133x15 = 2GHz (2400+)
100x15 = 1.5GHz (~1800+)
tell him to go to the BIOS and set it back to 133MHz.

3DMark can't recognize a Tbred, that's why it shows up as a duron, ignore that, better off use my app (red link in sig) to determine if there is something wrong with the naming of the chip.

After you uninstalled and reinstalled Windows, did you reload all your drivers that came with your motherboard?? I have had this be an issue before with 98SE, 2000AS and XP Pro so far even if you are only doing a quick overlay install and not a format install.

Might be worth double checking. Also wouldn't hurt to reflash your BIOS at this point to be sure you didn't get an infected area there as well.

Back