• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water as a PCM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UselesKnoledge

Registered
Does anyone have any info on using water instead of freon in a phase change system, or any idea's on how to build this system?

I know there is systems that use ammonia, but I dont really feel like spending the money on aluminum. If I can't use water, then maybe something else that is non-harmful, cheap, and easy to obtain.

Well, you can do evaporitive cooling with a bong... Its basically a phase change reaction, but it wont get super cold- just a few degrees below ambient.

If you want really low temps, just stick with standard refrigerants. r404 (propane) and r134a are easily available and cheap.

UselesKnoledge said:
Does anyone have any info on using water instead of freon in a phase change system, or any idea's on how to build this system?

I know there is systems that use ammonia, but I dont really feel like spending the money on aluminum. If I can't use water, then maybe something else that is non-harmful, cheap, and easy to obtain.

Water will freeze, that's why need to use standard refridgerants for phase changeing. If you want more information, you can find some at this site:

www.phase-change.com

LOL, no

Freon has become just a generic name for a refrigerant.

R22 and R12 were prohibited because they are harmful to the ozone if they are ever released. However, they can still be bought with a lisence.

The replacement is R134a. It dosent perform quite as well as r12 and r22, but it works just fine. Almost all household refrigerators and acs today run on r134a.

Hydrocarbons are also used such as r404 (propane)- Its flammable, but works awesome in a phase change setup.

Melting ice is pretty safe.. as doc said "Poor mans phase change cooling". I would work out great if you work at, or, know someone at the local McDognutts store. Free ICE ! :)

I kind of like the R404 idea, thats pretty easy and cheap to get hold of. I just really dont feel like blowing my *** up.

I'm not too worried about the water freezing, I'm sure it can be worked around. I want to make some kind of closed water cooling system that will cool better than just running water through a heater core, or just sucking it through a bong.

UselesKnoledge said:
I kind of like the R404 idea, thats pretty easy and cheap to get hold of. I just really dont feel like blowing my *** up.

I'm not too worried about the water freezing, I'm sure it can be worked around. I want to make some kind of closed water cooling system that will cool better than just running water through a heater core, or just sucking it through a bong.

If you are setting up a phase change cooling loop and intend to use water there is really only one somewhat reasonable way of doing this.

Submerge the cooling coils into a resevoir and use it as a chiller. Sometimes people often say that if you are going to do this however it only takes a bit more work to cool the CPU directly and not use water at all.

Back