• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Cpu For $$252.55

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord_Zoltan

Best Cpu For $$185

my FRIEND is building a new rig. Its gonna be so sweet 9800pro and all, he is waiting for the 9800 AIW.
Anyways!, he asked me what teh best amd chip is for under 180.375 american (thats about 250 canadian).
I recommended the barton 2500+ but then i was like wait under 185 DOLLARS...ok ill ask some ppl that know.

SO MY QUESTION = WHAT IS THE BEST CHIP FOR UNDER 185 BUX?

Thanks guys, im looking for Oc ability and speed :D

~Zoltan

Last edited:
Well I guess you don't want to buy a 1700+ B, they run 50.00 or you could get a Barton 2500 for about 90.00. Either way you could spend the left over cash on a kick *** w/c kit and o/c it like crazy. With the Barton you will make 2.4 easy with really good cooling like you could build 2.6+ will be no problem. Buying any other than these is just a waste of money unless you must have a cpu w/ 400 fsb stock then get one of the new 3000+ 400 fsb chips but both the other chips will do 400 no problem.

for overclocking get a 1700+ TB

but if your not gunna overclcok get a 3000+ barton

wannaoc said:
Well I guess you don't want to buy a 1700+ B, they run 50.00 or you could get a Barton 2500 for about 90.00. Either way you could spend the left over cash on a kick *** w/c kit and o/c it like crazy. With the Barton you will make 2.4 easy with really good cooling like you could build 2.6+ will be no problem. Buying any other than these is just a waste of money unless you must have a cpu w/ 400 fsb stock then get one of the new 3000+ 400 fsb chips but both the other chips will do 400 no problem.
thats what i told him

Well if your friend intends on overclocking then i'd go for an Xp2500+ with a good cooler. If hes only starting or not interested id get him the Xp2800+, Will prob overclock higher than the Xp2500+ on average ....... (know there will be people disagree'n with me :) ) Have had 2 Xp2500+'s & my new Xp3000+ out clocks them no probs with the same system. That should be less than the budget, but would advise a good cooler & overclock to atleast Xp3200+ with little Vcore increase.

cherryp00t said:
yep 1700+dltc or a barton 2500+

both will oc quite well.. if you have 180 to spend i would prob go for the barton

Ok thats what i told him. I guess he just thinks that getting i higher cpu like a 2800+ will get bettre oc than a 2500+ barton.

Im pretty sure once i show him this he wil finally agree with me :D

1700+ or 2500+

Yea, right now I am running a 1700+ and I am going to get a 2500 and put the 1700 in anothe rig that I will be using. I research the hell outta anything I get. Well, most of the time. ;)
Get either of these, and he wont be disapointed.

Skiing Squirrel said:
1700+ or 2500+

Yea, right now I am running a 1700+ and I am going to get a 2500 and put the 1700 in anothe rig that I will be using. I research the hell outta anything I get. Well, most of the time. ;)
Get either of these, and he wont be disapointed.

Ya its exactly what im still telling him. LOL i want him to go with 2500+ because i think it would be the best , but i think he is worried im trying to get him to stay what i have that way he isnt better than me ...i dunno i hope he doesnt think that.

I personally want him to get a 1700+ and watercooling cuz it would look cool :p
BUt i hope he goes with the 2500+, all i can do is offer my reccomendations nothing more.

Back