• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick heatsink question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subconscious

Registered
This may sound silly, but what direction do you want the fan pointing when mounting it on the heatsink. Do you want it so the fan is sucking air away from the heatsink, or so that it's blowing air onto it?

I think most of the preinstalled fan and custom installed fan are blowing air into the heat sink.

if its an OEM type heatsink, they generallly work better sucking off the heatsink.

most here, with aftermarket heatsinks/fans....have the fans blowing onto the heatsink.

it also can depend on what heatsink and how its designed. its an experimental thing, and sometimes temps can be better one way...or the other.

i would recommend blowing onto the heatsink...monitor temps, and if all is good leave it. if your curioius to see how it is sucking off...try it to see if it makes any difference.

i have an oem heatsink...and a loud fan. it seems to work about the same either way +/- 1c degrees here and there.

also note, if you have the fan blowing onto the heatsink it tends to be slightly louder :)

my 2 cents;)

thank you everyone, I have a vantec aeroflow, as mentioned in my other post and I'm about to try mounting an 80mm thermaltake smartfan onto the 70mm slot on top cause the TMD fan that came with it is dead... wish me luck, I'm threading thin strands of copper wire through the screw holes in the fan and loop them through an aluminum fin... hope it works ok for now.

Back