• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Damn thermal tape!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ubik

Registered
Just installed a Crystal Orb on my 8500LE, and since it doesn't have any mounting holes I decided to use the thermal tape.

But I got home from a Japanese exam today, and saw not too long ago that, apparently, the thermal tape didn't hold too well and it had fallen off the card onto my sound card! I put it back on, but I'm keeping a close eye on it in case it falls off again.

If it does that again I guess I have two options: a) use the spare thermal tape from my RAM's heat spreader and put it back on with that, or b) use the thermal epoxy from my Zalman mobo heatsink to put it on more permanently.

Anybody else ever have that happen with thermal tape?

Heh, I ended up using the spare thermal epoxy :D The only thing is, I think I fudged it slightly and put it on a little bit too low, and now one of the prongs on the lid is touching my PCI slot. It hasn't caused any problems, but I'd feel safer if that weren't happening. ;) Can I take off the lid without having any problems in fan function or anything? (if anything, I figure it'll increase airflow)

Back