• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cdrw wars: plextor vs liteon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Axion

ok either the plextor 52x cdrw (non premium)

or

the liteon 52x cdrw....

liteon is 2/3 the price of the plextor... is it worth spending that little bit extra for the plextor? what makes it so good?

thanks

I wouldn't think so. Lite-ons are tanks, your not really gonna get any better, definetly not for a 50% increase in price.

Def. go with a lite-on, they are so much cheaper and they work great. I have bought many lite-on drives in the past and they all worked great. Even if the plextor performs a bit better would it be enough for you to notice? Probably not. Is it worth the extra money for the tiny bit of performance? Not at all.

Matt

I don't know about these two drives but you should check for features like empty-buffer protection (it doesn't toast cds and you can use the pc...) and some others but I guess they are common on all drives.
Another thing many overlook is raw writing (no comments there).

I had a Lite-On's tray go screwy on me, the model I had was quite fragile (24x), but the Plextor I have is built really solidly. With CD burners reaching their "peak" (i.e. there aren't going to be many speed increases), there would be little reason to buy a new one in the near future. Because of this, Id go Plextor.

interesting... i think the plextor has a larger buffer cache...

and its black already :D

if i see it at lite-on prices @ a compu fair ill pick it up...

My Lite-On's been perfect, it's one of the best burners you can buy and they're priced very well. If you like to back up games and stuff then you'll definitely want a Lite-On as they are the best for that sort of thing. They get around the protections very well. (Note - this is for backing up games you own! :))

I have tried Lite-on and PLextor cd-rw drives. i definetly like the lite-on drives more because they are workhorses and 1 have yet to die on me. I had some screwy errors with Plextor cdrw drives when burning cds. ANd lite-on is cheap too.

I second the Lite-On. I've had no troubles at all with my lite-on burner. Besides, why pay more for the same quality?

I had my Lite ON 48x24x48 for like a year and never had any problems. I recently upgraded to the 52x32x52 and of course, it works great. Lite On is the def way to go. Good, cheap drives. What else can ask for???

NcBaller1985 said:
I had my Lite ON 48x24x48 for like a year and never had any problems. I recently upgraded to the 52x32x52 and of course, it works great. Lite On is the def way to go. Good, cheap drives. What else can ask for???

black bezels... cant find any in the uk

Lite-On is the money shot. I have the 48x CD-RW/DVD-Rom combo drive. Picked it up for $64. Awesome unit.

What about MSI? I found a good deal
MSI CDRW 52x24x52x Black for only $31.

Has anybody have any experience with MSI CDRW?

I own two lite-ons and they are awesome drives and nice prices.

My only mistake is that I didn't get one with a black bezel, and I am waiting on my black case to show up. Guess I will head on over to those case painting stickies.

Back