• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

THINKING OF UPGRADING CPU NEED ADVICE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PAUL001

Registered
need advice on new cpu allready ordered a abit kt7a-raid motherboard and don't know which cpu to go for ?

choice 1 athlon 1.2ghz

choice 2 althon 1ghz

choice 3 athlon 1ghz axia

what the difference between choice 2 & choice 3

any advice please

paul

the #3 i.2 gig axia is a better code than the previous 1.2 gig, they WILL overclock MUCH better if you can et the AXIA chip-you can get over 1.4 gig

Go with the AXIA 1GIG, the AXIA's are smokin!!!! (not in a bad way :) ) It seems that most people are getting really great numbers with these, I would definitely go for that one. If you do, keep us all updated :)

thank you for your advice

i have orded the following items;

kt7a-raid motherboard
1ghz athlon axia cpu
2*ibm 30.7gb 100udm hard drives
256mb of pci 133 cas 2 ram
hercules geforce 2 ultra 64mb graphics card
s/b 5.1 sound card

any advice on setting up the bios for max peformance please

paul

Looking very good, but what about cooling? What are u gonna cool that nice AXIA chip with?

going to use ;

TaiSol CGK742092 CPU Cooler - Duron/Thunderbird (Socket A)
Taisol's latest and best performing Socket A cooler featuring a cold-forged aluminium heatsink measuring 80x60x58.3mm. Complete with low-noise dual ball-bearing high-output fan pushing 21.19CFM. This product is AMD approved for Socket A processors up to 1.2GHz. There is no approval for greater than 1.2GHz but we know this cooler is capable of much more

but going to replace the fan with a ;

Delta 60mm Fan
This is the fan fitted to the Globalwin FOP38 CPU cooler. Widely accepted as the highest performance 60mm fan money can buy it spins at 6800RPM and pushes a voluminous 37.61CFM. This fan is noisier than most.

also using 2 * ;

YS-TECH FD8125 80mm Fan - 4 Pin
The high output YS-TECH FD8125 80mm fan produces a massive 47CFM airflow. This makes it ideal for case cooling applications and is fitted with a 4-pin Molex (PSU) passthrough connector.
Size - 80x80x25mm

as case fans

Paul

yeah i agree on the axia cpu. as for your heatsink i have a taisol as well. I mounted an 80 mm 42.5 cfm fan on it. It isn't very noisy (about the same as my other case fans) and seems to do well. I am running my avia cpu at 1.4 ghz at 1.93 vcore and get up to a max temp of 125 F while gaming for hours straight. It is fairly simple to mount the fan, as all i did was remove the old fan and shroud, bend the fins (fan them out) so they extend to the edge of the fan. i did this so all the air blows into the fins and not around them. i then made 2 small 'L' brackets to mount the fan on its diagonal corners. Ill attach a pic for you, i bet that case fan you have would rock. I took the original taisol fan and mouted it so it cools my hard drives now. Good luck in getting a good cpu :)

Back