• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman socket A worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

still_runnin

Registered
Im looking for a quiet system so the zalman socket A looks tempting. Im going to overclock my 1700+ for around 2.4-2.6Ghz. Would this heatsink/fan hold up that well? It doesnt seem like to many people have the socket A zalman. In fact the only place I can find that sells them is xoxide for $50 but that isnt bad considering you pay very close to that for a 800U and a smart fan 2. I will take any input you have.

I see that the 7000Cu did crappy in the amd section but that is just because it was modded to fit socket A. It did a lot better in the P4 section. The 800U did really well in the amd and P4 section but it also had a very very loud fan. I think if I got the 7000A, it would do just as good on the AMD section as the CNPS7000-Cu did on the P4 section. Thanks for the link anyways. Do you agree with the above statement though?

still_runnin said:
I see that the 7000Cu did crappy in the amd section but that is just because it was modded to fit socket A. It did a lot better in the P4 section. The 800U did really well in the amd and P4 section but it also had a very very loud fan. I think if I got the 7000A, it would do just as good on the AMD section as the CNPS7000-Cu did on the P4 section. Thanks for the link anyways. Do you agree with the above statement though?

The Zalman performed crappily because AMDs run a lot hotter than P4s. There is no difference between the 7000A and 7000Cu (7000cu being the P4 'model'). The A model simply comes with some new mounting hardware, so don't expect it to be amazing (as the P4 setup did) on your AMD. This probably isn't a good choice if you would like to pump up your AMD. Highly reccomended on the P4, just needs to be bigger for Socket A use.

Last edited:
Ffats said:

The Zalman performed crappily because AMDs run a lot hotter than P4s. There is no difference between the 7000A and 7000Cu (7000cu being the P4 'model'). The A model simply comes with some new mounting hardware, so don't expect it to be amazing on your AMD.

it depends on the AMD he's using and the AMD that the test was performed with. if it's a Tbred B than no AMD's do not run hotter than P4's. the B's use .13 micron allowing them to be much cooler than previous AMD's and put out less thermal energy than P4's. my JIUHB 1800 is doing 34-36C full load folding with the overclock in my sig. my case is also exceptionally quiet and i have more mods to do to improve airflow/silence.

Any processor with .13 micron manufacturing will run that cool. Its a 1800... Underclock a 2.4 to 1800 (correct me if I'm wrong, however I belive an 1800+ runs at an actual 1.2ghz clock?) speeds and the P4 will run cooler than a Tbred B.

This doesnt not negate the fact that the 7000A is no different than the P4 'model', and won't perform just as well as a Zalman cooler in a P4 setup.

Last edited:
Back