• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

running 2 WU on a P4C?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clutch_Head

howdy,

i've finished tweaking my rig and testing for stability.

i've been running the comand line client, SETI Driver, and SETI Spy for
the last couple of days. i assumed that running two wouldn't help or might
hurt my WU (work unit) time. but from what i've read, running two at
once will improve my WU per hour times.

can someone tell me how to run more than one at a time? also weather
setting the affinity will help or hurt the WU times?

i've searched the forums and googled but couldn't find anything.

i have one folder so far for SET@Home. i have it start when windows starts
(start folder). its set to cache 1 WU. BTW i followed Kris' install instructions
to give you an idea of my settings.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Running two at a time won't improve your work unit times, but it will complete more per day. All you need to do is set your cache to at least 2 and set the number of processes in seti driver to 2. It should have had that set by default. Affinity can be left alone - it has little to no effect on times.

i see what you mean about more per day vs. faster WU times.

i changed my max processes to two and my cache to two (cable modem always connected).
in Kris' instructions it said to have it set to one, so
it prolly was set to 2 when i installed. i left the set affinity unchecked.

now my cpu usage is at 100%

thanks a bunch for the fast reply TC :D

C_H

Yep... I did that instruction set long before duals or hyper threading were popular... sorry if you got lead astray...

Just another idea for you, perhaps... I run my caches at about 50 WUs for that day when the Berkely servers go down again (they always have and probably always will)... and I keep one machine with a WU reserve cache (my fastest system) of 200 (for really big problems)... Even if I loose my ISP (which also might happen) I get to keep crunching...

Crunch on!!!

no problem. i understand why you would have that instruction in there.
a person with a single CPU/Threading mach is better off running 1 at
a time. and a person with a dualie should know to have two.

you bring up a good point about having WU in reserve. my "always connected"
connection does go down from time to time.

if i keep a reserve on my P4. do i just have to add numbered folders to
my seti folders on my other machs, should i loose my ISP for a period
of time? then change the number of WU to cache in SETI Driver to match
the number of folders i have cached? (1 2 3 4 etc.)

thanks and Crunch On indeed! :D

C_H

Seti Driver can cache for you simply by entering however many work units you want into the cache field. If you want to go a step higher install Seti Queue on a machine - that not only caches work units, it also collects extensive data on each of your machines. It acts as a proxy server - sort of a middle man between your machines and Berkeley. It downloads and caches work units, and dishes them out when a machine needs them. The completed work units are sent back to it, and then it in turn can give them back to Berkeley immediately, or whenever you have a connection. At the same time it builds up stats on your machines. Here's what the web interface looks like for example:
www.techforge.biz:5517/default.htm

Back