• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air heat radiator from a car

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fros

Registered
Any tried to use the smal radiators that are used in cars to heat the air. They look to be similar in size to those that you use.

Car heaters

I don know if you al understod what i meant (hope you did). I ment the smal radiators that are used in the cars ventlation system to heat the air. About the same size as the ones that are soled for computers.

Yes, it was understood. "Heatercores" are what the small radiators under the dashboard are called by most people on the forum.

Yep Yep!
That's what we use.
I bought mine to replace a leaking one in my wife's Taurus, the carpet was getting wet, and the windows fogged over instantly when you tried to turn on the hot air.
One look at that thing though (the dash that is), and she got stop leak, and my computer got the heatercore. :D

And a big Welcome to the Forums! to you Fros!

Two heatercores and counting!

But for my next PC I may have to compromise and goto two BIX's since I am splitting up the TEC'd GPU cooling loop and the CPU cooling loop.

Heatercores simply take up too much space!

I figger that the loss of efficiency by going to a BIX will be more than made up for by removing 80+W of thermal load from the CPU loop...even though I am getting really good temps right now.

Ambient 28c (measured 1/2" from the heatercore fan) and 35c Die temp (with a Digital Nurse flat thermistor trimmed and touching the edge of the die) at idle ... and 41c at full load with the same ambient.

what brand of heatercores are preferred

What kind of fittings, tubings and pumpes are mostly used.
Are thare a special brand of (car) heatercore preferred or do you take what you got? The size wary alot betwine diffrent designs.

Chevette HC are common... 3/4 is the typical fitting you'll see on many heatercores... pumps vary from person to person, but you'll often see brands like Eheim, Via, Hydor, Danner, Iwaki(my choice), MaxiJet, Quiet One... Tubing... we would use the largest size, possible, but are limited by the smallest connection we use, which is typically the waterblock, 1/2" or 3/8". We have to weld 1/2 or 3/8 barbs on the heatercores to make them fit properly. Tygon or Clearflex tubing is preferred, but not necessary.

The DTek heatercore is BIG...uses the largest fittings possible (1/2" OD) and I like chrome fittings. BTW those fittings are screwed in chrome and come that way straight from DTek (no welding!) www.DTekcustoms.com

Since I have a good relationship with Gabe @ Swiftech I use his MCP300 Pump and am gonna try to "get" on of his new 12v pumps coming out (They look awesome)

I have used the german 12v and the Via Aqua in the past (Kinda noisy but OK otherwise)

I got blocks from CPUFX, DTek and Swiftech gathering dust on my shelves.

I prefer Tygon...it simply is the best. Thickest wall thickness I can get (usually 1/8")

Also use a Bayres and my gpu block is the 80w TEC (soon to be replaced with a 172w TEC) Swiftech unit.

Please try to keep the posts helpfull.... :rolleyes:

Hey Fros, if you have an auto parts store near you, try to go in there on a Tuesday-Thursday around 10:00 am, they aren't busy then, and you'll likely find a person who's willing to help you pick out a heatercore that's the size you need. Just take the measurements you need with you.
You might have to modify the inlet/outlet of the heatercore to match the size of tubing you choose (most commonly 3/8" or 1/2"). There's literally dozens of ways to do this easily though.

The pumps are easier to find online. I've been to dozens of stores in my area, and they don't carry anything usefull.

The tubing can be bought online also, but if budget is a concern, you can use the pvc tubing from a local hardware store. Just make sure it has a thick enough wall so that the tubing doesn't colapse when you bend it much.
I've used vinyl and pvc tubing before myself, and just bought some today. Sure it's not clearflex, but it carries water just the same.

If you have anymore questions, you've come to the right place.

ArE_eYe_SeE_kAy said:
Hey, why don't you guys use those pumps that people use for their fish tanks? Those pump water too...

hehehehe.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

half or more of the pumps mentioned by "vonkaar" are aquarium pumps, and since i have been into aquariums for quite a long time, i have some pumps and such just stored away here, and my "aquarium supplies" section of the basement ,will most likely be incorporated into my watercooling setup .

eheim was the first aquarium pump i saw on the forum which was used for a water cooling setup.

your idea isn't funny, it's a good idea, and the overclocking community is what made the aquarium pump manufacturers start making 12vdc versions of their products, since overclockers were already using their existing 115vac units for this purpose. i will stick with the 115 volt setups, even if i buy a new pump, unless i can get a converter to go dual psu. ;)

Yeah, choose any heatercore that can fit your case. I got some generic heatercore of size 7"x6 3/4" for example, which is larger than the 6" x 6" Chevette core most commonly used. If you're using 1/2" ID tubing, any core with 5/8" is what you're looking for, as they will work completely modless. 5/8" is the smallest heatercore fititng size I've ever seen, btw.

great, cause next someone'll start asking about "hey, i wonder if we can add some water wetter to the coolant to stop corrosion"

and "hmm, maybe we *could* also use better tubing that doesn't kink, say like that clearflex stuff they use for chemicals right?"

or maybe "wouldn't it be cool if we cut channels in some copper and made our own water-sinks?"

cause i'm seeing so much progress on this thread its beginning to look more and more like 1996...

come to think of it, "hey, i heard they're JUST came out with a NEW 007, i think its called "golden-eye"

and "ooo, i gotta get me a 440LX board and SD-Ram, cause EDO sucks and SD-Ram rocks"

Back