• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Email Security,need help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave65

I keep getting these returned email letters telling me my email could not be sent because it contains a virus,but the thing is I didn't send any emails,and they are sent to people I don't know.
Do I have a virus?
i have Norton 2003 System Works and it isn't finding anything wrong when I do a scan.

Should I reformat or something??
Any info would be great..Thanks

run the live update and make sure your virus definitions are up to date. rescan. good luck.

Its probably the latest email worm SoBig.F which can forge the from: field, chances are you didn't send them but somebody else who is infected that had your email somewhere on their hard drive.

More information

Smokeys said:
Its probably the latest email worm SoBig.F which can forge the from: field, chances are you didn't send them but somebody else who is infected that had your email somewhere on their hard drive.

More information

I keep it up tp date,and I ran the Trend Micro for that worm and it found nothing.I am stumped.

You almost certainly aren't infected, and the problem is something you can't do anything about.

Somewhere in the world, there is a computer that has your e-mail address in the address book. That computer is infected by the sobig.f virus. When the virus sends out e-mails while trying to spread itself, it lies about the address it's being sent from. Sometimes it uses your address.

Somewhere else in the world, there is a computer with a virus scanner. When it recieves an e-mail containing a virus, it sends an e-mail back to tell the person they are infected. Because sobig.f lies about where e-mails it sends are from, the virus scanner tells you that the e-mail was infected, instead of telling the person with the infected computer.

Back