• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a AuthenticAMD AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spartacus

Registered
I have a AuthenticAMD AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor im pretty sure its 450mhz.
I was just wondering if it was possable to overclock it, or is there something i could do to make it faster.
anything you have to say would help alot.
thanx...

I'm pretty sure you mean the K6-2 or K6-III since the normal K6 stops at 200 or 233...

More to the point, I can't really say, never done this myself, but applying standard procedures should do :)

Look for an FSB/Multiplier/CPU Speed option in the BIOS. If not there, try looking for jumpers and switches on the motherboard itself.

Btw, if I remember correctly, the K6-2/III don't OC very well though. Good Luck anyways...

tdc (Apr 22, 2001 01:39 p.m.):
I'm pretty sure you mean the K6-2 or K6-III since the normal K6 stops at 200 or 233...

More to the point, I can't really say, never done this myself, but applying standard procedures should do :)

Look for an FSB/Multiplier/CPU Speed option in the BIOS. If not there, try looking for jumpers and switches on the motherboard itself.

Btw, if I remember correctly, the K6-2/III don't OC very well though. Good Luck anyways...

the k62`s 3d cpu`s have a metal cover over them
anyone thought to remove that cover and see what
lurks behind it.
might be a exposed L BRIDGES HOPEFULLY

I tried doing a K6-2 500 and only could get it to 550 and even then it didnt like it too much. From what I understand, those K6-2's didnt overclock too well and my own experience backs that up.

Thanx for the information. I didnt think i could do much to it.
So im going to be building a new pc soon, what do you think would be a good overall chip to use, and what kind of mobo would i need for it?
I dont know a whole lot about this stuff but i do know some.
thanx again for your time and info.

tdc (Apr 22, 2001 01:39 p.m.):

What about the ordinary K6 then? Does it Oc any good? (I got a 200 in my fathers room ;) )
I tried looking in the CPU database but the record only goes back to K6-2...

Back