• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CCFL's under my car?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PunkRawk911

Does anyone know if I could hook up some Sunbeam Cold cathodes under my car, or do you think they're too fragile? The come encase in acrylic tubes, with acrylic blocks at both ends. Also, since I'd be running it straight off of the battery, I wouldn't have to use the inverter, would I? I'd just run the leads straight to the battery terminals, correct?

Edit: Nevermind my idiocy, I realize now that I would still need to use the inverter... For some reason I was thinking that computers were AC inside, not DC....

no, you still need the inverter, the car provides 12v DC just like plugging into your computer

Yeah, I realized that. You must have snuck this in in the two minutes between when I originally posted and when I realized I'm an idiot, and did an edit.

You can, but they are still a LOT more fragile then a neons lexan tube. For $120 you can get a nice Liteglow underbody kit. 2 4' tubes, 2 3' tubes, and a 6000volt transformer to power them all.

I wouldn't use a cc outside of a vehical anyways.. inside is a different story, but they are still more fragile then a neon made for a car.

Yeah, instead of sticking them under the car though, I was planning on putting them behind the front grill, so that it lights up at night. If I ever get it done, and get a good camera, I'll post some pics.

PunkRawk911 said:
Yeah, instead of sticking them under the car though, I was planning on putting them behind the front grill, so that it lights up at night. If I ever get it done, and get a good camera, I'll post some pics.

If you do, weatherproof the transformer box and the ends of the tubes. Lots and lots of silicone should work. I've got a 10" red neon behind my grille thats been there for almost 2 years, and no problems at all with it comming on.

Back