• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UT2003 - Symbolic link??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris

Well ive finally got around to installing UT2003 few questions though, im installing to /usr/local/games/UT2003, but it also wants to install a symbolic link into the path whats that all about? should i install it, and where to?

Based on your post, it seems that UT2003 wants its binary to actually reside in /usr/local/games/UT2003. However, that location is rarely (if ever) in someone's $PATH (an environment variable that tells the shell where to look for the programs you type it). The installer wants you to place a symbolic link (similar to a shortcut, in Windows) to a location that does exist in the $PATH.

This way, instead of having to type the full path to UT2003 to run it, you'll just type something like "ut2003" on the command.

Before you can make a sym link, you'll need to know the name of the ut2003 binary. I'm going to assume its "/usr/local/games/UT2003/ut2003", but please verify that this is in fact the correct location.

Probably the best location for the symlink is /usr/bin/, so that's where I'm going to put it. If the installer suggests a different place, use that instead.

So, the following command will make your link:
ln -s /usr/local/games/UT2003/ut2003 /usr/bin

You'll need to be root for that.

After linking, you should be able to launch ut2003 by typing ut2003 (not as root).

Hope that was helpful :)

yeah that helped me Titan i understand what you are saying, ive attached some ut2003 screen shots, just to verify im doing this right, basically i just want to set the symlink to /usr/bin in the last screen shot so its readily available for my normal user?

ut2003-3.jpg

ut2003-4.jpg

I would just use the default, in that case.

In order to launch the game, you'll still need to run the binary, but the game directory will be linked inside your home directory, making it easier to find.

Assuming you use KDE or Gnome, the game will also install menu entries that point to the binary, which make the $PATH issue pretty much irrelevant (unless, for whatever reason, you wish to run it from the command line).

gaaaahhhhh im having another problem, basically i run the linux binary from the 3rd cd witch copies some files and ask for installation info etc as shown above, then it asks me to mount the play disk, but i cant put it in either of the drives because it locks them closed, until i select the "no" option:confused:

ut2003problem.jpg

Ya, I had this problem too, and RHM seemed to tell me a way to fix it :)

Just copy the linux install script onto the hdd and then run it, then it will allow you to change discs, because it will unmount it so you can change it...whereas it wouldn't if the script was on the cd :)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

bubba gump said:
Ya, I had this problem too, and RHM seemed to tell me a way to fix it :)

Just copy the linux install script onto the hdd and then run it, then it will allow you to change discs, because it will unmount it so you can change it...whereas it wouldn't if the script was on the cd :)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

cheers that worked like a charm i can now i can insert the play cd, but now when i put the play cd in the little UT console says " /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 - no medium found" yet i can browse the UT cd thats in cdrom0 no problems, who would of thought installing a game would be so different eh:p

Back