• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8rda+ mystery

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flounder43

Senior Lawyer-clocker
What exactly does holding the "Insert" key when restarting do? I realize that it is meant to be a way of getting the comp. to boot after setting the OC to high. But how about this:

I set my 8rda+ 2500 Barton to 200 X 11 and it won't boot (fire alarm type sounds). So, I reset, holding down the Insert key....It then boots. I am thinking that by holding the Insert key, it is defaulting to some lower settings, but actually, it was still set to and booting at 200 X 11! I have tried this many times, with the same result. When I test the speed with WCPUID, Sandra, etc., it is in fact running at 2200 (11 X 200). All I need to do is hold down the Insert Key on booting.

I was under the impression that holding down the Insert reverted the bios to safe settings so you could lower the OC. But the speed isn't actually lowered in this case....is there something else that it is changing? What is up?

http://24.163.205.137:81/pics/sandra.JPG

Hitting or Tapping Insert at boot before you get display..will result in your fsb being set it 100. Useful for when you overclock too high and don't want to clear CMOS. And when you return the bios with a 100 X xx, you will see that your old overclock fsb settings that failed are still there.

I dunno why yours don't work.

Drisler said:
Hitting or Tapping Insert at boot before you get display..will result in your fsb being set it 100. Useful for when you overclock too high and don't want to clear CMOS. And when you return the bios with a 100 X xx, you will see that your old overclock fsb settings that failed are still there.

I dunno why yours don't work.

I think what it does is maybe sets the RAM, but not the FSB lower. It is clear that the overal speed is still there after pushing the Insert key. I just don't know

Strange,i was under the impression that if bios cache is enabled it would boot to the last stable setting withh all the changes left intact so you dont have to go all the way through bios changing everything.Is this not so on this mobo? It was on my kt7a.

Back